Prologue II

In a dimly lit expanse, I awoke with a strike of perturbation, gasping for air as if I had submerged for almost an eternity. My eyes flickered open, but to my apparent dismay, instead of the comforting familiarity I've been expecting to see around my surroundings-

flashes of impending demise and misery welcomed my face. Before me were figures that trembled due to torment, their visages displaying agony, and voices bawling out in a gut-wrenching way.

These people were not my parents, but in a way, they felt relatively close, causing a profound, unfathomable pain within me. The sight of their suffering brought me to tears, nearly shattering it along with the load of their pain.

As the scene vanished, leaving me in a traumatic and disoriented state, I found myself surrounded by ruins. The breeze felt dense, accompanied by the scent of decay, and how a mournful howl rang through my ears, causing me to tremble as it sent shivers down my spine.

"Help us..."

As the echoes faded into the hollows of my mind, I awoke, struck with perturbation, gasping for air- almost hyperventilating, as if I had submerged for almost an eternity. My eyes fluttered open to realize that everything was a dream.

I got up and drank a glass of milk. For a moment, I was clouded with my thoughts, with fragments of my dream slipping through my skin like sharp-edged crystals- indubitably familiar pain yet I couldn't grasp it.

"Help us..."

So painful that even a glass of my favorite drink couldn't heal.

Who were they? Where was I? Queries crossed my mind, unanswered.

With a sigh, I tucked myself into bed again as I tried pushing the lingering appendages of fear and confusion, trying to escape into a sea of uncertainty and longing. I know that I shouldn't be like this-

knowing that I'll celebrate my 18th birthday, a week from now.