{29}- Void and Awakening | Prelude to the War

[Cover updated!]

Babylon Labs, Siberian Tundra

2000 CE, February 1, Midnight

The Babylon Labs - one of the largest facilities that Schicksal has ever built. An impenetrable fortress carrying some of the world's most advanced research, yet...

...it is in the middle of its worst massacre in history.

On a hill surrounding the labs, a Honkai-mutated deer watched the midnight sun rise from the horizon, and decided to clop away at the sound of slithering in the nearby trees. However, it was nowhere as fast as the multi-headed serpent, which captured it with its left head, and promptly devoured it for energy.

After finishing its meal, the serpents heads fused back into one, and stared at the facility that imprisoned its master.

Master seems to not need help in the moment... he has her... I will wait, then...

***********************************************************************************************

Meanwhile, inside the Labs...

Two men in lab coats ran as fast as they could with their feeble and unfit bodies, huffing and puffing as they went around a corner, making an emergency turn before bolting for the loading bay's door.

"Quick! We're almost there!" As one of the men shouted in victory, the other noticed the shadowy poltergeist manifesting behind them, glowing eerily white.

"Shit! She's right behind us! Don't look back, and keep going!"

As they continued running, the 'ghost' paid no heed to their conversation, and only allowed a small concentration of energy form in her palms. When the first reached the door labelled 'Advanced System Labs', the other suddenly started screaming as a weird ring formed around his waist, glowing with a rainbow colour as the smiling ghost approached from behind me.

"WAIT! Please wait for me... SAVE ME-" Before he could finish the sentence, his lower half suddenly vanished as he plopped to the ground, deleted from existence. "My legs! I can't feel my legs!"

The first man watched his colleague scream as he made the decision to save himself first, closing the loading bay doors as he breathed a sigh of relief, leaning his back onto the cold walls. "I'm safe... guess I'll just wait for help."

His safety was short-lived as the white hand, covered in purple cloth, phased through the door and let out a chuckle. "You selfish human, you even left your friend behind... you think mere doors can stop ME?"

Frightened, the man leapt away from the door and towards the control panel, before taking out a gun and closed his eyes as he aimed blindly at the ghost, shooting three shots consecutively before all noise faded. Hoping that it was over, he opened his eyes to take a look...