2

A year earlier:

"Barry!" Felicity's voice squealed through the speaker of his phone. He couldn't quite place the emotion it conveyed. He could almost feel her tension through the phone, like something big was going on. Adrenaline rushed into him. She was out of breath, although, she didn't seem to be in any danger. It was something different. Excitement? ...

"I found him"

I found him. Three words. That was all it took to bring him to his knees right where he was standing.

It had been a while since he had asked Felicity to do this for him. He knew he wasn't supposed to; he also knew it wasn't exactly by the book. But this had tortured him for way too long not to try. He just had to know... If there was anybody who was able to find his brother, it was Felicity. And he was right. She found him. Everything around him started turning at the thought, his vision became blurry, and suddenly, he was somewhere else.

Flashback

Barry was sitting in the visiting room of iron heigts prison, opposite of his father, the only room he had been able to see his dad in for the past 12 years. They were separated by the glass, holding the phone through which they talked, the prison guard was standing in the corner, bored. It seemed like it was any other day, and it might have been for everyone else, but to them, it wasn't. Today was different.

"He's thirteen today, dad." The young adult said, his voice hoarse.

"An official teenager" Henry Allen said, with a light smile at the edge of his face.

They stared at each other for a short time, both knowing exactly what the other was thinking.

"We just have to trust that he's okay, Barry. You know what the captain said. He has a family, a mom and a dad. He is loved."

"I know I just... i wish I could be there with him. I wish he knew me, knew my name, remember..." He was barely holding back his tears now.

"We both know it's probably a blessing for him not to remember what happened. He got a shot at a normal life, a stable childhood. He didn't have to deal with... you know, all the stuff that you had to deal with, which I am still so sorry for. Let's try to be thankful for that in his name."

"I know, dad. I know. But-"

"You don't have to say it, Bear. I understand."

And they sat in silence some more, crying together, until visiting time was over.

Felicity's words had broken down a barrier in the back of Barrys mind, flooding him with everything he had so carefully stored away there. He was overwhelmed by it all and as soon as the memory faded, another took his place. This time even further back in time.

Flasback:

Barry and Joe were sitting inside the Central City police department, the captain's office. A calendar on the wall showed the year to be 2000. The Captain came in, sitting down in his chair. He leaned forward with a friendly smile.

"Alright, son. You were asking about your brother. Thaddeus is his name, right?"

Barry nodded.

"That's right, Thaddeus Allen" Joe said for him. "We call him Teddy, though. I couldn't take him in as well so they put him in care. Now the CPS won't tell us anything and I know you have a lot going on, but Barry is worried sick about him. We all are. Please, you have to be able to do something."

"Well, Joe, you are a great detective to this police force and this case has done quite a number on you. You have done so much for us and for this community, and for young Barry here as well, it's only fair if I look into this one for you. There is nothing I can tell you at the moment, but I will see what I can do, okay?"