Chapter 23

3rd pov:

That night at Hog's Head, Aberforth offered the Qilin a saucer of milk, instantly perking up the creature and eliciting happy sounds as it leaned over contentedly. Bunty watched with a smile, enjoying the interaction.

Suddenly, the front door rattled, and a rush of wind and snow scattered into the pub. Voices and the stamping of boots heralded the entrance of Dumbledore, Newt, Genevieve, Theseus, Jacob, Lally, William, and Adrien sleeping peacefully in Newt's arms.

"Bunty, you're here," Newt greeted her with a smile, and Bunty responded with a nod and a smile of her own.

"How is she?" Genevieve asked, crouching down beside the Qilin, which nuzzled into her palm.

"She's doing fine," Bunty replied as a baby niffler rolled out of her hand and wandered into Genevieve's palm.

"Whoa, What have you done now, Alfie? You haven't been biting on Timothy's bottom again, have you?" Genevieve teased the niffler playfully before standing up.

"Ms. Broadacre, I trust my brother has been a gracious host?" Dumbledore inquired of Bunty.

"Yes, he has been wonderful," Bunty confirmed, casting a grateful glance at Aberforth.

"I'm delighted to hear that. Rooms have been arranged for you in the village, and Aberforth here will prepare a delicious dinner for you, his own recipe," Dumbledore announced with a warm smile, ensuring their comfort for the night.

☼☽⋆。°✧ ✧⋆°。☾☼

Aberforth ladles a thick, grayish stew into the chipped bowls placed before the group seated at the long table. "There's more if you want," Aberforth grumbles out before heading toward the stairs. "Thank you," William offers politely, which earns him a brief nod from Aberforth, who continues on his way.

As the group starts eating the stew, Theseus comments, "Astonishing...never has something so repellent look and taste so delicious." The Qilin chirps happily in agreement.

"Completely agreed," Genevieve chimes in between spoonfuls. Jacob, noticing the Qilin, gestures to her and asks about her. "Hey there, do you mind?" he inquires playfully.

Newt and Genevieve observe Jacob interacting with the Qilin over his stew. "She's a Qilin, Jacob. Incredibly rare and cherished in the Wizarding world," Newt explains. "Why?" Jacob questions, clearly intrigued.

"Because she has a unique ability to perceive the purity of one's heart," William elaborates. "If you're good and worthy, she'll recognize that. But if you're cruel and cunning, she'll know that too."

Jacob, surprised, asks, "Does she just tell you that outright?" Newt shakes his head. "Not exactly... it's more of a gesture, really"

"Well, She bows, but only to those truly pure of heart," Lally interjects, capturing Jacob's attention. "Most of us aren't, no matter how hard we try. There was a time, long ago, when the Qilin chose who would lead us."

Jacob finishes his stew and notices the Qilin's empty milk bowl. With a smile, he spoon-feeds the creature some stew, which makes Newt and Genevieve grin at the heartwarming sight. Just then, Newt catches sight of the mirror nearby, piquing his curiosity. Words are surfacing, one by one:

I want to come home.

"Where are you off to?" Newt inquired as Genevieve nudged him. "Just a little stroll, I suppose," Genevieve replied casually as she left the table.

☼☽⋆。°✧ ✧⋆°。☾☼

Genevieve walked through the Pendragon family graveyard until she stood before Damian's grave. The epitaph read,