Chapter 15 The True Marvelous Secret

Esoteric Buddhism refers to the profound and mysterious principles and practices that are not kept secret but are rather too profound to be easily explained. The teachings within the Mahāvairocana Sūtra and the Vajrasekhara Sutra, including the methods of Dharani, seals, recitations, and empowerment rituals, embody Esoteric Buddhism, with Mahāvairocana Buddha revered as its principal teacher.

Both teachings stem from what Buddha Shakyamuni proclaimed, differing only in emphasis. Subhuti(Bodhi Patriarch), the great master, here extols the Tathagata's Dharma, leaving one to ponder the nature of his relationship with the Tathagata. Wukong notes this in his heart.

The master continued, "Cherish the cultivation of life and essence," meaning to cherish and cultivate one's nature and life. To understand and finalize one's nature and life is the mark of true wisdom.

Since ancient times, "nature and life" have been synonymous with human life. In the context of cultivation, these terms should be viewed distinctly. "Heaven's mandate is called nature." Human nature is endowed by nature, as decreed by heaven. The essence of life, being our inherent good nature, is the true self, the heart of Dao. Once its course is set, it is difficult to alter without greatly harming one's cultivation or even endangering life... The master spent two full hours discussing just these two words, "nature and life."

Wukong listened intently, deeply impressed by the profound truth in these few words, which would have been difficult to unravel without the master's explanation.

The following lines are more straightforward, teaching one to always consolidate their essence, energy, and spirit, "Cultivate the essence and form with focused spirit." "Solidifying the form, ensuring the durability of life and nature," refers to the phenomenon of forming the elixir. Wukong's elixir formation is not like that of ordinary mortals, who refine their base through external substances; such practices are superficial.

In the cultivation within this universe, the ultimate path is the same, seeking the source of creation. Ordinary creations are derived from external sources, mixed in quality, whereas Wukong's creation is from the purest and most orthodox source, refined inside and out by the Nine Turns Golden Elixir of Laozi, awakening the spiritual essence of heaven and earth accumulated over countless millennia. The inner elixir formed under such conditions is unparalleled. Even Subhuti, with his boundless wisdom, marvels in silence.

"Planting the golden lotus in the fire," refers to nurturing the golden elixir with internal fire, refining external impurities and negative energies until a flower blooms within the elixir.

"Reversing the use of the Five Elements, achieve the work and become either Buddha or immortal." These lines summarize the essence of the True Marvelous Secret. The master briefly explained them before sending Wukong away to meditate.

Though Wukong had questions, he saw the master entering deep meditation and dared not disturb him, quietly leaving. He did not know that even a master with the ability to perceive the universe could feel tired.

Outside, Wukong pondered the last two lines, curious about the meaning of reversing the Five Elements and achieving the state of Buddha or immortal.

As he left the hall, he was overwhelmed with joy, shouting excitedly, attracting the attention of many disciples. Some thought him mad, while others, envious and jealous, recognized the great fortune he had attained, something they could never hope for.

Indeed, Wukong had received a tremendous fortune, the greatest of his life. Whether for better or worse, he now felt far from a mere monkey.

Inside the inner hall, some restriction had suppressed his cultivation, but upon leaving, he felt refreshed and powerful, sensing the world in a new way—seeing, hearing, and feeling far beyond the ordinary.