Chapter 26 Facing a Mighty Foe

The Bull Demon King was momentarily taken aback, then burst into laughter, saying, "Young brother, you must have not stepped outside for a long time. The world is full of those who overestimate their abilities, as numerous as the sands of the Ganges. I've long since grown accustomed to such sights, which only serve to amuse me."

Sun Wukong understood the Bull Demon King's seemingly simple and honest demeanor, which concealed a meticulous nature, but hearing such refined words coming from the mouth of an old bull still struck him as comical.

The Bull Demon King then said, "I notice that your iron staff is quite extraordinary. May I take a look?"

"Why not?" Wukong replied. He pulled out the Ruyi Jingu Bang from his ear, and it instantly grew to over four feet long as he handed it to the Bull Demon King. After examining the staff and its inscriptions, the Bull Demon King chuckled heartily before returning it to Wukong.

Seeing the Bull Demon King's familiar manner, Wukong inquired, "What do you think?"

"This is the Dinghai Shen Zhen from the treasure trove of the Eastern Sea. I've seen it during my travels in the Eastern Sea, but since it did not heed my commands, I had to let it be. Now I realize, it was waiting for its destined master to appear. Indeed, it was so," the Bull Demon King explained.

Wukong was somewhat puzzled, as he had always been skeptical about the idea of destiny, saying, "I saw that brother had no trouble lifting it, so what's this about it not obeying?"

"The Ruyi Jingu Bang maintains its thickness regardless of its length. I prefer weapons that are heavier on one end due to my greater strength," the Bull Demon King responded.

"I see," Wukong acknowledged.

After conversing for a while and sharing several jars of fine mountain wine, Wukong brought up the main topic, "Brother, have you ever been to the north of Aolai Country?" The Bull Demon King, taken aback, replied, "It's been a hundred years since I last visited. The place was picturesque, with clear mountains and waters, and also connected to the sea. It boasts many beautiful sights, though not quite as magnificent as Mount Huaguo. Other than that, nothing special."

Wukong mentioned, "A few days ago, I noticed a heavy demonic aura there, quite different from what brother described. It seems to have found its master."

The Bull Demon King's eyebrows raised in interest, "Is that so? I, old Bull, enjoy making friends and exchanging skills. How about we go together and see?"

Wukong hesitated, "Just like that? We don't know if they are friend or foe."

The Bull Demon King laughed heartily, "You've grown timid, brother. Have you not heard? All demons under heaven are one family, haha."

Wukong also laughed, "Brother is truly open-minded. If so, let's go. What harm could it do?"

Without further ado, they set off for Aolai Country, arriving in no time. Before even reaching the mountains, they saw them enshrouded in a dense black fog.

The Bull Demon King exclaimed joyfully, "Such divine power!" and rushed into the fog, with Wukong quickly following, wary of an ambush.

Despite the thick fog, nothing could stop them. They saw a beautiful mountain scene: amid the blue smoke, they heard monkeys calling at the mouth of a valley; in the shadowy greenery, cranes cried among the pines. The spring water flowed swiftly, its chill penetrating to the bone; the peaks stood tall and rugged, the cool breeze startling as if in a dream. Occasionally, they heard the roar of a beast and the chirping of mountain birds.

The Bull Demon King laughed again, "Such a strong demonic aura, not inferior to mine." Seeing no one in the mountains, Wukong used his magic to let out a thunderous roar, "Duo!" startling the birds into flight and the beasts into a frenzied escape.