Chapter 1: The Visit

The silk of my robe grazed against my arms as I walked. The trip here hadn't dampened my spirits, and neither had the rain.
The cloths clinging to my skin were slightly wet as I blew through the hallway, light from the storm flooding into the stone carved room. My shoes clattered against the floor, echoing against the walls, letting my presence be known to all who entered. I was not fearful. I had been here before. I had walked these halls, running my fingertips along the cold stone. I hadn't been fearful then either. Not when I had touched the walls, not when I had touched him.
It was a lingering memory, what I had done that night. One that returned when I slept, causing me to wake in a cold sweat, and a yearning. An impossible burden of a yearning. Yearning for his touch, yearning for the feeling of him beneath me, and I below him. After those dreams I would walk with my sisters, pushing back the ache in every limb. He was a foolish boy. One with the mind of a child but the body of a solider.

My face remained a brick mask, hiding the desires that blossomed beneath my skin like flowers fit for picking. A loud crack of thunder boomed outside the castle walls.  I did not flinch at its rumble. The violet fabric of my clothes opened in the back, at my stomach, and my chest, alluring those who beheld me, though the halls remained empty, the coldness around me emphasizing my loneliness. My longing.

I had to remain focused on the task at hand. What the high priestess had told me to do. Had she ever felt desires in the way I had? Had her perfectly carved fingers ever slipped from duty into the hands of pure animalistic desire? I doubt it, though her wrinkles indicated some troubles had etched away her once beautiful face.
"Be quick about it," her voice had rasped, like stones sliding on ice.
"Quick and thorough."
I had nodded. In my need for her pride of me I had raised my chin and my dark blue eyes had dug into hers. For you, I would do anything. They had screamed back into her cold, vulture gaze.
I will do my duty.

Another crack of thunder sounded, this one louder than the last. The halls still remained vacant. Where was he? The last time I had saw him had been months prior, although I could still feel the whisper of his breath on my skin. Foolish girl. That's what I was. I had lied to the high priestess when I said I carried his child. My womb was empty. Another task I had to perform tonight that I myself had to carry silently. Foolish, foolish girl.

That's when I heard it. Barely a whisper. Barely a breath. A step? Maybe. I stopped in my tracks, hands clasped together, breaths quiet. My mouth was slightly open as I took in my surroundings. There was no sign of anything. No shadows, only the gray lifeless stone.

I began to walk again when sharp steel collided with my neck, halting me. It wasn't pressed with force, wasn't pressed with the intention of killing. A breath grazed my ear and my bones turned to steam. I turned my attention to the pale, strong hand welding the weapon and a small smile tugged at the corner of my lips. It was gone before he could see it.

"I thought I told you I never wanted to see you again, woman," his voice was as dark as night, and coated me like a blanket. It was exactly as I remember it.

"Forgive me for disturbing you."
My voice came out quiet but firm, and laced with seduction.

"I should litter the walls with your blood."

As much as his words should've scared me, knowing what he'd done, I remained still, my breathing even.

"I wouldn't have assumed you were one for decoration."
A joke. My eyebrows raised as I tried to catch a glimpse of him, but to no avail.

"Lower your weapon," I said calmly.
"And show yourself to me."

His breathing was ragged in my ear, feral, tinged with anger.
"You do not command me," he growled.

"Lower your weapon and look at me."
I hadn't planned on using the voice, but his stubbornness gave me no choice. Robotically, he lowered the steel from my throat and stepped in front of me.