Chapter Four

Mate.

My mate. Mate. Mate. Mate.

What the actual fuck.

Nova had a mate. A real honest to the mother mate.
And, cauldron boil her, she liked it. Yes there was nothing technically wrong with that, but it didn't sit right that she was mated to Nyx, her best friend since childhood who she was currently snuggled up next to. mate.

Nova turned to look at Nyx but when she did, his face said it all.

He doesn't know.

With this revelation came a horde of new questions. Should she tell him or should she wait? How can he not know, not feel the bond linking him to her? If she told him, how would he react? Would he be happy or angry or...dissatisfied with who he had been paired with?

"You okay? You look a little stressed." Nyx asked, a look of confusion and concern had spread across his face.

"Huh? Oh yeah im uh im fine." Nova replied, stumbling over her words.

Nova didn't know what to do so she did the only thing she could think of. She ran.

"Um sorry I've got to go. Bye!"

"Wait what? Where are you going?" Cassian tried to protest but Nova had already winnowed away.

Breathe Nova, breathe and calm down.

"I have a mate."

"You what-" Her father asked, confused and shocked at his daughter's words.

"A mate." Nova repeated, wincing at Azriel's startled expression.

She had known that this would probably not go down well. She was still a child in the minds of her family, only 20 when most met their partners hundreds of years along the line. Their was also the fact that she was still his little girl, the one who he would carry in his arms rocking her to sleep. Nova knew all this but he was also the one that she knew would understand her and would help her figure out this whole mess.

"It's Nyx isn't it."

"Yes."

He waited for a moment, contemplating what to say next.

"Does he know?"

"No." Nova shifted uncomfortably in her chair, twisting to look at her father sat beside her.

"I-I dont know what to do. Do I tell him? What if he doesn't like me like that? What if he only wants me as a friend and im still here loving someone who doesn't feel the same way about me? And then of he finds someone else, how am I supposed move on and forget about my mate?" Tears were now wetting her eyes.

The shadowsinger held her close, stroking her silver hair out of her face.

"Shh sweetheart don't cry trust me that boy is smitten for you and I would suggest telling him considering that when Rhys kept it from Feyre she wouldn't go near him for a week." He says, chuckling. "But it's your choice so do what you think is best."