Chapter 3: An Old Frenemy

You are in your office with Neo sitting on your lap. Jax, a candidate for the Vale Council, is meeting with you to help with your campaign.

"Would I be correct to assume you require more than just some extra funds?"

Jax: "Dust is in high demand and the regular shipments aren't supplying enough for the kingdom. Or the city for that matter."

"I still have some contacts in the other kingdoms. I'll see what I can do. I'm still surprised that you would be willing to ask people like us to help."

Jax: "Well, order is hard to establish and the kingdoms are still focused on trying to rebuild their cities and villages. Vale needs to get back on its feet soon, or else any threat outside will begin to take advantage of us all. And you're the only one that can curb the rate of thefts that are happening by those trying to establish gangs."

"Very well. In exchange, you give me information on whatever the council is planning, including secrets. But rest assured, blackmail will be out of the question. After all, we are both in agreement on this."

You tossed Jax a drive with stored funds on it.

Jax: "We are. Thank you. I'll be taking my leave now."

"Looks like business is progressing smoothly," you said to Neo as Jax left. "Wouldn't you say, Neo?"

Neo looked at you and rubbed your cheek.

"I'm still not used to this thing where you talk now and again. No offense."

Neo pulled out her scroll and typed "None taken. You're the only one I ever want to talk to".

"I'm blushing, Neo."

Neo ran her finger down your cheek and you put your hand on her waist. Suddenly, your monitor showed that Ruby Rose has entered the estate.

Neo pouted and threw her cup, which ended up hitting the wall. Ruby started running up the stairs and into the estate and Neo got up off your lap to stand next to you.

"Ruby Rose," you said upon seeing her enter your office. "What brings you to Vale this day?"

Ruby: "What was that sound?"

"I accidentally kicked a cup. Nothing to be alarmed about."

Ruby: "Oh. Okay. I am in Vale to meet with the rest of my friends. We're going to have a party at Beacon."

"Oh yeah, Beacon Academy is back up and running. I heard Glynda Goodwitch is the headmaster."

Ruby: "Yeah. She was kinda Ozpin's right hand. It's nice to finally head back after four years of traveling and fighting."

"Aren't you and everyone supposed to be in your fourth year at Beacon?"

Ruby sighed.

Ruby: "Yeah. Before I complained about being considered special since I got moved ahead by two years in my previous school. Now I wish I could've completed my years as a student."

"Like every other student. I can assure you, we haven't done anything illegal ever since we got back after that damn second war, so there's nothing for you to worry about. Just have fun at the party with your friends."

Ruby: "Okay. See ya."

Ruby walked back before looking at Neo, who looked away from Ruby as she leaves.

"I wonder what Roman would think of this. I bet he'd find our new ventures interesting."

Neo: "Maybe. Want to get dinner?"

"Absolutely."

You and Neo walked out and hold hands.