Chapter 1: As if Dalton

My mother gets me to straighten my back as the sound of bag pipes can be heard entering the hall. The music piece comes to a close as the head teacher of Welton Academy, Mr Nolan, stands up.

Welton is an all boys private school, so you may be wondering how I ended up here. Well they've decided to trial having girls at Welton. Me and one other girl have been accepted to go here, although I probably got selected due to my brother, Neil, being one of the top students.

Mr Nolan starts going through a speech about rules and some other shit that I couldn't care less about. I swear he is the most boring man I have ever met. I pay no attention to his words and zone out thinking of funny things that could happen right now.

I tend to do that a lot, I get bored and start to daydream. Neil always makes fun of me for doing it but I pay no mind to him.

My mind drifts further and further away from reality until suddenly all the students rise to their feet and my mother pushes me to stand. Confused I go along with what the other students were saying.
"Tradition"
"Honour"
"Discipline"
"Excellence"
Then everyone sat back down again, my mother having to yank me as I am still a little dazed.

The ceremony comes to an end shortly after and I make my way out to the courtyard along with my family. My parents walk ahead, their heads held high, looking as if they're judging every other being within the school grounds. Me and Neil walk a few paces behind in a comfortable silence. We pass through a door leading to the rest of the school and Mr Nolan stops us, "Ahh Mr Perry good to see you again," He says to my father before turning to my brother, "Neil, we expect good things from you this year."
"Thank you sir."my brother replies politely.
"He'll try his best, isn't that right." my father says harshly. "Yes Sir."
"Ahh and Ms Perry, it will be a pleasure having you here, you best be on your best behaviour." Mr Nolan says now to me. "Yes of course, thank you for having me sir." And with that we walk in to the school, me and Neil ready to find our dorms.

I spot a beautiful, blonde girl and assume that thats my roommate, Taylor Anderson. "Hey I heard we're gonna be roommates, I'm Cordelia Perry, nice to meet you." I say walking up to the girl.
"Nice to meet you to, I'm Taylor Anderson." She replies, her voice is soft and angelic. We chat about random stuff until we stop at our dorm, it's about halfway down the hallway. I still don't know why they put our dorm by a bunch of hormonal teenage boys dorms.

We hall our bags into our room and I automatically go to the bed on the right hand side. I chuck my bags on my bed and let out a huff as I lie down on it. "So this is our new home I guess." I say jokingly to Taylor. She lets out as small laughs and replies "I guess so."

Next thing I know the door flies open and I hear a very familiar voice, "Hey sweet cheeks."

Charlie Dalton has been best friends with Neil practically since birth. And me being Neil's twin sister automatically made me friends with Charlie. Or sorta friends. Charlies always been very loud and obnoxious, which is not like me at all, I love him for it though.

"Hello Charles," I smile and get up to hig him, "You missed me?"
"You know it babe." He winks.

Ever since we were 15, me and Charlie have sort of had a flirty relationship. We both knew it was only jokes though as neither of us were that interested in the other romantically.

"I'll be back." I say to Taylor before walking out of the room with Charlie.
"So I heard your brother did summer school." I laugh at Charlie and his nosiness, One thing about him is that he loves to gossip whenever he can. "Well, you're just gonna have to ask him yourself."
"Come on Delia." I ignore him and walk over to Knox and Meeks who were catching up in the middle of the hallway.

I am well acquainted with all of Neils friends due to them coming round during the holidays. "Alright boys." I sling my arms round there shoulders and they both murmer hellos. "How bout we pay a visit to my dear brother." And right on cue Charlie slings open the door to Neils dorm.
"Rumour has it, you did summer school."He says pointing a finger towards Neil.
"Yeah, chemistry my father thought I should get ahead, how was your summer slick?"
"Keen. Just ask your sister." Neils face flashes with
disgust, anger and confusion. I laugh a little before butting in, "As if Dalton." He walks over to Neils bed and lies down muttering a whatever and then commanding Meeks to close the door.

I plop myself down by Charlies feet as they start talking about school and studies. Although I'm not listening, I'm more interested in Neil's new roommate. The blonde boy is on the other side of the room minding his own business. "I'm sorry I'm Steven Meeks." I get pulled out of my head as Meeks starts talking to the mystery roommate. "Oh sorry, guys this is my roommate Todd Anderson, Todd this is Charlie, Knox, Meeks and my sister Cordelia." Neil buts in. "Oh so your Taylors brother?" I question. Todd just gives me a small nod and a smile.

Theres a sudden knock at the door and we all jump up, Charlie distinguishing his cigarette. My father stands in the doorway, "Father I thought you'd gone." Neil says in suprise. The rest of the boys utter greetings out of respect before my father tells them to keep there seats. "Neil I've just spoken to Mr Nolan, I think you're taking too many extracurricular activities this semester and i've decided you should drop the school annual." he says.

"But I'm the assistant editor this year." I feel bad for Neil he was telling me earlier how much he was looking forward to the school annual, my father always does this, wether it's me or Neil he will always try to take control of out lives. "Well I'm sorry, Neil." My father lies, I can tell in his voice that he couldn't care less. "but father, I can't. It wouldn't be fair." Neil begs, My father then rasies his voice excusing him and Neil from the room.

"Well I think I'm gonna go back to my dorm," I say sensing the mood has been ruined, "bye guys." They all bid me goodbye, all except Todd. "Bye Todd." He just smiles and nods at me before I exit the room.
--------------------------------------------------------------
(not proof read)
a/n: hope you guys like the first chapter! btw this will probably be a bit rough to start with but hopefully when I get going with the story my writing will get better. This chapter is also a bit rushed as I just wanted to get it over with so we can get into the intresting stuff.

qotd: Who's your favourite member of the dead poets society??
my answer: probably Charlie although I love them all.

(1250 words)