chapter 19

The roaring car sounds invaded my ears as they passed through the Hungarian grand prix circuit. We were then, two races before summer. I just couldn't wait. As I watched Charles on the screen of the garage I started to remember everything we've gone through during this part of the season. 

Charles and I had been getting to know each other and understanding out triggers and traumas. It had been a bumpy and smooth road. We knew better than to race past it, instead of giving it time to unfold. There had been fights, long midnight talks, parties, public dates, more private dates, and even more. And I was so content with the fact that we were just in sync. It felt like everything was finally clicking.

Charles jumped out of his car and went straight to his post race routine. This was a neutral race as he had now ended in P7, after qualifying the day before in P6. It was not a result he was happy about, but sadly he had gotten a little used to it. He did have that P2, that became a happy moment in Austria where we got to celebrate his podium. He could only hope the next part of the season looked more like Austria, and less like these type of races. Joris, Andrea, and I started walking towards his driver's room.

"I think that there's a chance things turn to the better after summer." Joris tried to look at the positive side.

"Yeah but we also have to be ready if things don't" Andrea spoke more realistically.

"We can't control it, therefore we shouldn't worry about it right now." I interjected before things got dark.

"You're right, one weekend at a time." Joris said, and we nodded. "Charles should be ready in a few. Remember the meeting with Mia."

After a few moments, Charles entered his room with Andrea and Joris. I felt a little left behind but I knew he needed to be more focused. I had learned with time to give Charles his space. I started scrolling on my instagram feed while I waited for them to be done outside. Charles's voice brought me back to reality.

"Cami, let's go. I don't want to be here much longer." He whispered close to my ear. "We have to meet Mia, and then we leave fast. Okay?"

"Yeah sure, whatever you say." I quickly agreed.

Charles guided me to Mia's office in the motorhome where she was sitting looking confused at her computer. Hotels, and restaurant reviews were laid all around her desk. She stood up as soon as she saw us.

"Oh, sorry for the mess." She said sitting back down, "how are you guys?"

"Oh we are good, a bit tired but good." I replied kindly.

"Well, I reserved the villa in Sardinia, and the hotel in Corsica. I think Carlos will be also spending it there." Mia said while shuffling through papers.

"That's great news. Thank you for organizing everything." I added, and Charles just stared at him in awe.

"You guys have been doing so good, so far." Mia said proudly.

"I think it helps that we are taking it seriously," Charles suggested with a big smile.

"You're not pretending, I like that." Mia agreed and started gathering her things. "I'm heading to the airport, and you guys are flying straight to Belgium?"

"Yes, that's the plan." Charles replied and patted her back, "thank you for everything."

"Keep in touch, and I'll be here for you guys." Mia said as she left the room.

"So Sardinia and Corsica?" Charles turned to me and smiled.

"Can't wait!" I smiled back and took his hand.

We said goodbye to Joris and Andrea and made our way back to the hotel. The car ride was mostly me just talking about everything. Charles was just listening. This is the way most post-races car ride went like, especially when he had results like this. But this time, it was different. He didn't look angry or upset, but more at ease and happy.