Chapter 14

Thanks for the 200+ reads everyone!

Regrouping in one day was impossible. Too much time of the day was wasted in getting to where they are now. The earthquake didn't exactly help in speeding things along. Everyone had to spend the night out in the jungle with extreme uncertainty. The Gang being split into two wasn't the best way to get a peaceful sleep. Through the night, nature called out all around them, bringing a different kind of ambiance to the jungle. They weren't used to hearing so many different animals at once. Back in the Skyline, they'd be lucky to hear a tawny owl from the tree in their garden. Chirps, creaks, howling, scuffling and chittering could be heard all around them. They got used to it eventually, but that's didn't make it feel any easier. Both groups had decided to rotate around with keeping watch throughout the night. It wasn't easy, but at least they mostly got some sleep. As soon as dawn came, they moved again. They needed to hurry up before they ran out of supplies. They had enough to last about a week, but if delays keep happening, then what will happen if they run out?

No, keep moving. Don't think about any negatives. Just hurry up and keep moving.

"Mimi?" Pip sighed after her ears picked up some whining behind her. Where to even begin with the list of Mimi's complaints today? First, it was her having a bad hair day. Second, she didn't have her personal equivalent of deodorant and perfume (she blamed Bud for his "micromanaging" of her things). Third, her blisters seemed to have blisters. Next she had been bitten by different insects after she ran out of her bug repellent. Then she whinged after it was discovered that they would need to scramble up a steep hill to try to get higher ground. It wasn't their fault that they needed to climb up. They just tried to keep to the direction that Bud gave when they got separated. They had to be closer to the others by now, right?

"I broke a nail!" Mimi whimpered, inspecting the damaged nail. Stay calm, Pip. Don't overreact. Just pretend it's like when she needs to replace her guitar strings. Something that can easily be fixed. Or in this case, make Mimi chill before she starts to go on a tangent.

"It's not the end of the world. You can sort it out when we get home to the Skyline." Pip forced a sympathetic smile. In reality, she wanted to scream at Mimi to get a grip and quit complaining. But then what good will that do?

"As soon as this is over, I'm spending all day at the spa." Mimi grumbled, heaving herself up to where Pip was.

"Another spa day? I thought you were joking when you said Dude owes you one." Pip smirked, hands on her hips. She can already imagine the heart attack that Dude might have if he saw the bill for the spa.

"I say I've earned it!" Mimi retaliated. Just think of the full day of relaxing. That's the goal. And one that she outright deserves. Meanwhile, Candi was lagging a little behind. It wasn't because she was getting tired. It was something a bit more...complex to say the least. At the start of the ascent, she was fine. But as they got higher, she got a little queasy. Rainbow stayed behind with her, allowing her to use him as emotional support. Don't look down. Don't look back. She's gone up and down hills before...just not quite as steep as this. No, she'll be fine. Nothing to worry about. She's on solid ground. She can't be silly right now. Candi was snapped out of her thoughts when she suddenly slipped on something. She reached out to grip onto a rock, not wanting to face plant or fall on top of Rainbow completely. Gravity betrayed her even more as her hand slipped just as harshly as her foot.

"Ouch!" She exclaimed, pulling furiously away from the rock. She stumbled in her haste, Rainbow just managing to keep her from tumbling down the hill.

"Candi?" Mimi called back down at her. Candi winced a little as she looked at her hand. She tried not to panic as she spotted the blood that was there. A long cut was hidden under it, jagged from when gravity took control of Candi's stumble.

"Sorry. Just cut my hand a bit." She said after inspecting her hand a little more.

"Once we're on more level ground, we'll take a look at it." Pip said calmly, pointing to the top of the hill. Not long to go now. Just a couple more meters and Candi will feel much safer. She nodded back, biting back the pain. Rainbow allowed her to lean on him again as they continued their incline. Just hold on a little more. Don't look back. Don't look down. Rainbow helped keep Candi steady, with Pip and Mimi waiting. The hike felt effortless now. Much easier. It felt quicker too. To Candi, it felt like she had close her eyes one second and the next she opened them to find herself on the flat hill top. Time to take a quick break and look at Candi's still bleeding hand.

"I think you'll be okay." Mimi smiled consolingly as she looked at the injury. Not too deep. Probably won't need stitches. Just a simple patching up. "We'll just clean it and bandage it up for you."

Candi smiled back, holding back tears as Mimi gently cleaned the cut. Rainbow sniffed around, taking in every scent that he could find. A few things he was tempted to roll in. Then he remembered that it probably might not be a good idea. Mimi would probably throw a fit. Instead he turned to sniffing the air. Maybe he can pick up the scent of their lost friends. It would help guide the girls closer to them and get the mission moving much quicker. Truth be told, he never liked that Sceptre. He's seen how badly it had hurt a couple of his friends already. He's surprised that he hasn't used it as a chew toy already. When he thinks about that, he then remembers that they can't destroy the stupid stick. They need to return it. As Mimi was busy playing doctor, Pip looked out at the jungle. So green and honestly quite beautiful. The air was so clean and quiet. No traffic, no pollution. Just nature. Already, Pip could feel the inspiration running through her. So many songs to write when this is over. As she watched Rainbow sniffing around, she felt a huge prick in her mind. They were still missing their friends. Their fates are unknown right now. And it was quite scary to think about.

"Hope the boys and Misty are doing better than we are." Pip muttered out loud. She didn't know what hoping would accomplish but it was better than nothing at this point.