Chapter 3: A Path long diverged

Subaru sat alone in his office. Without the heat emanating from Priscilla, the room felt cold and empty. Just like his kingdom, just like his life. He sat on his chair, wrapping his fur coat around him. He wanted to just go to Emilia already. However, he stopped himself. It wasn't yet time. He must wait for Petra. She would get sad otherwise. Sorrow leads to Anger. And that wont do yet. So he must wait.

With nothing better to do, Subaru began scanning his office. There were several important things in his office, important markers of the powers of the monarch of Lugunica. Most predated his rule. There were a few things however, which Subaru had added over the last three years.

Almost absent-mindedly, Subaru grabbed the closest artifact. It was a shattered claymore. Even split in half, the sword rested heavy in his hand. It almost felt like the sword had a life of it's own. Knowing this sword, it did probably have a life of its own. And it probably didn't like how Subaru had stood around watching it's last master get destroyed.

In truth, Subaru hadn't watched his friend fall sitting around doing diddly squat. It was probably the single event he had tried to prevent the most. It must have been millions, even billions of loops. He had tried everything he could. Maybe if he could go back farther. Maybe if he had been more forward thinking. Maybe if he hadnt been so reckless. Maybe Reinhardt would be here today. Maybe he would be smiling, and it would still be summer.

But it wasn't. By the time Subaru realized Reinhardt could be killed, the opportunity for change was long gone. It could have been a million loops back. It could have been a billion loops backs. Subaru didnt know. Subaru would never know. That was his eternal shackle. No matter how much he may know, no matter how much he may try, once a new save point was reached, that was it. The END. No more retries. And he was stuck with the aftermath, and a broken, bloody Dragon Sword.

Sighing, Subaru kept the broken sword back on the mantelpiece. He spun around, and looked again through his office. Every where he looked, he saw his failures. Right across Reid hung Julius' sword, seized by the crown as punishment for his treason. Along his Table lay Felt's Scarf, still punctured by the arrows of the Royal Guard. Ricardo's skin made the rug for his office, and one of Elsa's blades hung right behind his chair. All of them were there for a reason ofcourse. Roswaal had insisted on putting them there. It would be a lesson, he had said in his sickly sweet voice. A warning to all who dare rebel against the crown.

However Subaru had a sneaking suspicion that traitors werent the only people who were supposed to get a lesson.

Subaru sighed again, and walked back to his Desk. He opened his drawer. As it creaked open, there lay his biggest regret: A single blank book, and a girl whose name was lost to the World's memory.

Echidna:[Why do you care about her so much anyway? She barely even talked to you.]

Sometimes Subaru really wished his contractor came with a silencer.

Echidna: [Come on, it is always anger. Cant you do a more interesting emotion when you think of her?]

Subaru: [Couldn't you have been a more interesting parent to her?]

Echidna: [Come on. You know as well as I do that I do not remember her in the slightest.]

Subaru felt a flurry of rage flow through him. There was a lot more he wanted to say, but he stopped himself. It was pointless. If living in his head 24x7 did not make her see the point, nothing he could say would. In a defeated manner, he slunk back into his chair and placed the book back where it belonged.

Just in time as well. No sooner had he closed the book that Petra arrived in the room, silent as always.

Subaru: [You are Early]

Petra: [Of course I am. It is natural for a girl to want to spend time with her lord isnt it?]

Petra drew uncomfortably close to Subaru.

Subaru: [Don't you have other things to do?]

Petra: [Of course not. What sort of bodyguard lets their patron out of sight? I would have been in here sooner too, if it weren't for keeping up this maid disguise]

Subaru: [For the last time, Petra. Maid isn't a disguise. It is a part of your official duties..]

Petra: [Yes, yes, of course. Do you think Fredrica-nee would ever let me slack on my maid duties. Of course not.]

Subaru: [Well, good to see that you know. Anyway, we should get going.]

As he rose from the chair, Petra jumped on his table and stopped him.

Petra: [What's the hurry, My Lord?]

The way she said that made Subaru sick to the pit of his stomach. Her voice seemed to shift. It was too much like Elsa's voice.

Subaru: [Well, it isn't wise to keep those two waiting isn't it?]

Petra: [Oh, I would never make Nee san wait. However...] She said, disposing of her winter overgarb to reveal the revealing maid outfit underneath [... My Lord seems to have kept an hour of his precious time free, with no other commitments. What is a girl to take of it but...] She said, playing mischievously with the Bowel Hunter's Knife [... her Lord wants to spend time with her.]

With this, Petra pushed him back into the chair. His face was nearly buried in her bosom. For the second time today, he felt sick. Maybe it was time. Maybe he should end the loop now. Maybe he could go back and make adjustments on the fly. Maybe even try not sleeping with Petra. Maybe the 94837th time would work. Maybe he could avoid this altogether.

However, deep down, he knew he could not. The respawn would take him back to today morning at best, or even later at worst. That was already too late. Petra's feelings needed to be nipped years ago.

He looked up at Petra. For a brief moment, before he locked eyes with her, The Dragon Sword, broken and battered passed before his eyes. Like Reinhardt, the moment to change this was long gone.

Petra: [So my Lord, do you?]