1 - coming home

BREAKING NEWS:

After two years of being hidden by the media and engulfing herself in silence, world footballer Maura Clarke has been named in Barcelona Femeni's starting lineup for their Champions League clash against Chelsea. Six-hundred and eighty-nine days after a car crash almost ended her life, leaving the midfielder in a coma for six weeks, she seems to be returning to football tonight. For two years, neither the club nor Clarke shared any details about her recovery, offered training pictures to the fans or any announcement on whether or not the Irish national player would return to the sport at all. An insider revealed, a year after the accident that stunned the football world, that Clarke had apparently suffered a spinal cord injury that paralyzed her, and many fans regarded this as the official confirmation of her retirement. Today, however, Barcelona Femeni posted their line up involving Clarke, captioning the post - Clarke officially returns. Whether or not she is still the player she used to be, and whether or not the consequences of her accident still affect her to this day, shall be revealed during tonight's Champions League quarter final, in which Maura Clarke will verse her own teammates. The midfielder signed for the Blues in 2015, at only eighteen years old. After five years, she transferred to Barcelona on a world-record fee.

"YOU LOOK even hotter than you used to!"

Of course, those were the words Sam used, after letting out a screech that made all of the players in the tunnel turn their heads at the commotion, but it was followed by Sam jumping in the air once before running up to Maura, tackling her in what was supposed to be a hug.

"It's nice to see you too", Maura chuckled, holding the woman closer to her body. Being back in London had certainly whipped up some memories that left a bitter taste in her mouth, but with all the noise regarding her comeback, she had almost been able to drown it out.

"Maybe I should total my car, is that your beauty hack?", someone joined in from the side of the hugging pair, and it didn't take Maura long to realize it was Erin, joined by Guro, waiting in line for their respective hugs.

"I'd love to see you try", the ginger-haired girl gave back, tears dwelling in her eyes at the final reunion with her old club.

Mapi was muttering something from her right, about focussing on the match, about getting back in line, but it was a blur of Spanish somewhere in the back of Maura's head as she chose to enjoy the moment.

"I've missed you lot", Maura smiled before giving Guro's hair a ruffle, much to the dismay of the midfielder, who quickly pushed her away.

"Oh please, you waited two years to come back just so you could lose against us", Sam joked, drawing another laugh out of the Irish woman. Despite the teasing and the joy that filled her at the prospect of being back home in London, it was easy to tell she was tense. Her shoulders were hunched, eyes slightly wider than usual, roaming around the place to scout out every person she could, her studs were ticking against the floor rhythmically.

Sam decided to intervene.

"I'm pretty sure she's here. I saw Leah and the other bunch in the stands during the warmup", Sam muttered beneath her breath when Guro and Erin finally left the two alone. Maura shook her head, her eyebrow furrowing.

"I'm not-"

"You're not worried about your ex being here? Please, get any more tense in those shoulders and she'll be able to see, all the way from wherever her and the rest of Arsenal have barricaded themselves", Sam intervened, giving the woman a knowing look.