3 - i swallowed my tongue

WOSO UPDATES on Twitter:

Kaite McCabe, Leah Williamson, Jen Beattie, Beth Mead and Vivianne Miedema were present at the final of the Women's Champions League. They took pictures with some of the fans, which show that they were all wearing Jill Roord's Arsenal jersey. Does this mean that Katie and Maura are officially over?

comments:

user1: oh please, they've been broken up for years

-> user2: idk, why would katie go to eindhoven if not to support maura?

user3: kaura lives on, you guys

-> user4: i really don't think so tbh

SOCCERDONNA: According to Irish Sport Magazines, Maura Clarke is very close to signing a three year deal with Chelsea

comments:

user1: yeah sure

-> user2: i actually think they might be right, i mean why hasn't she extended with barça yet?

user3: a win for chelsea!!

WOSO UPDATES:

Maura Clarke unfollowed Katie McCabe on Instagram!

comments:

user1: kaura nation how are you feeling

-> user2: don't ask pls

user3: guys she unfollowed every arsenal player, it's got nothing to do with katie they're just joking

-> user4: why would she unfollow every arsenal player? i thought they were friends

-> user5: they are, but maura unfollowed katie as well when she signed for chelsea for the first time, they didn't follow each other for like four years

user6: they never followed each other

-> user7: omg exactly

-> user8: but usually they comment on each other's post, or at least like

IRELAND'S NATIONAL TEAM:

Guess who's back... back again...

IT STILL felt difficult to fully grasp. Maura was going to be back with the national team. Ever since her career had begun, she had never felt as impacted as she had when she got her first call-up. Sure, playing a Champions League final was good. Sure, being nominated for the Ballon d'Or was a big thing. But none of those factors were surreal to her. But the fact that she got to play for her country? Wear her country's colors as the Irish people cheered her on?

It was absolutely absurd. But Maura wouldn't have it any other way. It was the reason she'd been as cheerful as she had been when Vera had called her, to let her know that she was going to return as​​ the Captain of Ireland. On a second thought, Maura's stomach had turned. She would have to face Katie, as in, actually face her. Even the thought of her ex girlfriend left a sour trace in her mouth. She would have to face her. Not be in the same stadium as her, with a thousand other people around. Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner with her. Maybe be alone with her - do interviews with her. Katie was her co-captain, after all.

It was enough to shake her with nerves, but it wasn't enough to scare her off entirely. She was Ireland's captain, though, admittedly, Katie had done an excellent job in her absence. Katie bled for football the same way Maura did, had the same patriotic kind of love for her country and its people. Katie had led them to the first ever World Cup qualification. Maybe Maura should've refused the captaincy. But she hadn't, and just a few days after a very somber of third-wheeling Sam and Kristie, and the weekend she had spent in Glasgow with Ruesha's family, she was in Dublin, drumming her right fingertips against the steering wheel rhythmically as she waited for her best friend's arrival.