Chapter 5

I went straight to Sofia's. I couldn't go home, not right now, so I went to my second home. Sofia's little sister answered the door and she let me right in. I went up to my best friend's room, not caring that Jake was there, and knocked on her closed door.

If it's closed, you knock.

Luckily for me, Sofia was fully dressed and looked put together. She looked at my current state and sent her boyfriend away, then pulled me into her arms. I started sobbing instantly. I didn't know what else to do.

She told me I don't need him and that I'll be okay but it still hurts so much. I don't even know how long it'll take for me to feel okay again.

Right before my birthday? Right after his? I got him such an amazing present and he loved it, but now I wish I could take it back and break it right in front of him. Like he broke me.

I worked hard so I could get it for him, worked extra hours, babysat more than ever, and got him a custom glass picture frame with our picture and our song in it.

Fuck this. Fuck him. I don't fucking care anymore.

Sofia said I could stay the night and that she'd call my mom, but I wanted to be alone now. Maybe take a bath and have some me time.

"You sure?" she asked. "I could go lil So-So on his ass if you want."

I chuckled. "I'll be fine. I think I just need a few hours to get myself back on track."

I could tell she didn't want to let me go but knew I actually did need to be by myself. "Okay, bye, babe."

"Bye. I'll call you later."

I didn't call her

I didn't call her. I didn't leave my room for three days. I didn't talk to anyone other than my mother who brought me meals and made sure I didn't die from dehydration. I didn't see the point in getting out of bed, especially since I work remotely most of the time, so I didn't.

I hadn't showered since I got home and broke down while hot the water rained down on my skin. My sister had to check on me to make sure I wasn't doing anything... bad. I felt bad for scaring everyone but I just didn't know what else to do other than cry.

I responded to my texts and acted like I was fine via technology, but I had to change a lot of stuff. I archived all my posts with Cole on Instagram, not wanting to delete them just yet, I changed my Facebook status to single, took his name out of my Instagram bio, and even went around my room and took all our pictures down. It was too damn painful to see him everywhere. Because that's how he was in my life — everywhere.

But no matter how much it hurt, I still couldn't make myself take off his fucking hoodie. It was so warm and cozy and made me feel like my life wasn't falling apart. I couldn't even gather the energy to be my usual over-productive self with work. Just did the bare minimum and told my boss I had some family stuff going on.