Sneak Peak

Alex could do this. It would be fine. People asked other people out on dates all the time, no biggie. Worst the guy could say is no, right? It was nothing to get worked up over-

    "Is there something I can get you, or are you just gonna keep standing there?" the barista asked flatly, to which Alex startled, finally realizing he'd just been completely frozen at the counter. His brain had been so caught up on the whole 'asking the barista' out bit, that he kinda forgot to - y'know - do that part. 

    "Y-Your number," Alex managed to stammer, feeling like he was about to pass out. Should he say please? Would that be weird? No, he should probably say please, he didn't want to be rude-

    "Not on the menu, what else?" the barista answered without missing a beat, still in monotone.

    Alex locked up again, opened and closed his mouth a few times, but ultimately came up empty. 

    "... Um..." he mumbled, eyes darting across the counter now, before he just grabbed one of the prepackaged peanut butter cookies and gently pushed it forward. "Cookie."

    The barista rang him up, Alex swiped his card, received the snack along with another monotone "have a good day," and that was that.

    Next thing Alex knew, he was standing outside the cafe on the sidewalk, blinking and trying to process what the hell just happened. 

    He looked down at the cookie, then sighed, and tucked it away in his bag. He would just have to give it to Erin. He was allergic to peanut butter.