Chapter Three: Stranger

Kalli ignored the overloading piles of dirty clothes scattered around her bedroom floor and made her way to the living room. She counted the steps the bookshelf like she did ever since her move. One. Two. Three.

...

Fifteen. Sixteen. And finally, eighteen. On her toes, she outstretched her left arm and reached for the top of the left. She tapped several random spots until she felt the edge of an old, outdated journal. However, this journal was not your average diary, but one that contained words that held a deeper meaning. One that quoted the words of legendary and on the rise people of the world. One that contained a treasure non-like any other—peace.

Kalli traced over the trims and edges of the book with a loving smile. She carefully opened that pages and turned to a random page. Closing her eyes, she steadied the book with one hand and pointed at a random section of the page with her other. It said: Quote #523 "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ― Mae West

Kalli re-read her chosen words again and asked herself, Will once be enough? Kalli closed the journal, kissed the cover as if she were a mother telling her child she'd be back soon, and returned it above the shelf.

While she changed, Kalli thought more about the Mae West and the quote. Mae West must have had a spectacular life; otherwise, she would be like Kalli, hoping for another chance. Kalli pushed back the memories of her past and grabbed her blue-and-white-striped backpack and slung it over her shoulders. She locked her door and she walked in the familiar streets to school. Kalli always liked school. She was always a teacher's pet and her classmates admired her. After her parents' death, her friends turned away from her. Their parents didn't want their children around her. Things cooled down once she was older. At Winchestor High School, she was just an average student categorized under the tile of Nerd.

Though students who preferred to sit at the front consisted of mostly "die hard study freaks", Kalli always sat at the back, watching the people around her. Jimmy the not-so-secret-masturbator tried to contain his horny dick. Andrea was showing off her new silicone breasts with a low cut crop top. Caleb made out with Leah—tongue and all—trying to make his ex-girlfriend, Mage, jealous.

Mr. Benedict handed out a surprise quiz about the Holocaust. Only the students who studied would have aced this test. Fortunately, Kalli reviewed and memorized her notes a few days ago. After the quiz, the rest of class time was spent on working on any unfinished schoolwork. Kalli took advantage of this time and took out her phone. Scanning through her contacts, she found Jason, the newcomer from Sin City who managed to force his way into her life in on night. He was quite a catch. Imagine the cast of Magic Mike in one body, except with European appeal; tall, dashing, and very unexpectable. Kalli shook her head. Why in the world was she thinking of him?

A shadow gloomed over her and cleared its throat. "Miss Mondell, this is not what I meant by finishing homework. I'm very disappointed in you."

Classmates stared at Kalli, shocked that a model student such as herself would be breaking in the rules. Not that they should be judging, after all, everyone broke the rules every now and then, it was just a matter of time.

"I'm sorry," Kalli apologized, "I have no explanation towards my actions Mr. Benedict." Mr. Benedict cleared his throat once more, not knowing what to do next.

"Very well," he nodded. "I'll let you off with a warning, but the next time happens, I'll have to give you detention."

More stares. Heads shook in disbelief that Kalli had only gotten off with a warning. Great, more of a reason to be hated, Kalli thought. After that, school zoomed by and she was home. Luckily, Kalli didn't have to work at Sin City today, but she did have a daily appointment at Charlie's Café.

Charlie didn't own Charlie's Café now that he passed away due to lung cancer. Instead, his son Malcolm was given full responsibility of his father's café, and he loved it almost as much of his father. Malcolm's mom, Grace, worked as a freelance waitress there. She'd been Kalli's server the first night she came, drunk and on the verge of collapsing. Grace took on the role of Kalli's grandmother after that, checking up on Kalli and asking her to come and visit. She was almost like the light that could be visible in a bottomless pit. Almost.

"Precious, how are you?" One thing Kalli loved about Grace, she called her precious. Not Angel or slut or hoe or any of that.

Kalli took her seat, by the corner of the shop, and ordered the usual coffee and lemon-pie. At this time of day, Kalli found it peaceful. No other customer came this late at night, which was perfect for Kalli. It was her little hideaway from society—from the world.

The door swung open, disturbing Kalli's peace and routine, and in walked a new customer. One that Kalli had never seen before. Kalli continued to eat her pie and drink her coffee, but she cautiously eyed the stranger, taking in his rich presence. He had on a leather jacket and a hoodie underneath. His shoes were John Lobb and he wore an Armani watch on his left wrist. Kalli silently groaned. What's a guy like him, she asked herself, doing in a place like this? He must have felt eyes piercing at him because he turned around ever so slightly that it seemed casual, and glanced at Kalli. He was in shock. His lower lip dropped and he looked at her as if she were a kiwi in a basket of bananas. Astonished. Quickly recovering, he grabbed his order and took a seat by Kalli.

"Angel."

-----

Hey guys! Sorry this took a long time to update. I was extremely busy with  school and making covers Forgive me? Anyways, feedback would be highly appreciated :) Hope you liked this is once again, comment and vote. 

~Mouse