5 || A Long Day

(Unedited, Not Proofread, 4177 words)

The morning after Princess Yue's party, I trek across the city long before the sun rises so that I can be where the Avatar is staying as he and his friends wake up. On my way, I decide to stop by Princess Yue's room to make sure the guards taking care of her are in check. 

When I arrive at her room, I find the two guards laughing at something. They're maybe a year or two older than me, dressed in formal guard clothing, but neither of them are paying attention to me. In fact, I get all the way up next to them without being spotted. 

"Ahem," I clear my throat sharply. The two guards leap into their places and wipe the smiles off of their faces before I can do it for them. Even in the earliest stages of sunrise, I can see the embarrassment on their faces. "Step aside. I'm visiting the Princess." 

"I'm sorry, we cannot allow anyone in the Princess's room," one of the guards says, even as I walk in front of the door and reach my hand out for the knob. The guard on my right tries to stop me, but before he can even touch my wrist— which would have started a fight I know I can win— the second guard smacks his hand away. 

"My apologies, Saki," the second guard says pointedly. Apparently his hint didn't drop right, because he laughs awkwardly and adds, "We wouldn't dream of keeping Princess Yue's personal guard away from her." 

"Oh— my- my apologies," the first quickly chirps, stepping back and away from me. I haven't changes my gaze or my stance this entire time, so all I have to do is reach a little further and twist the doorknob. Without saying a word, I enter the Princess's room. 

Once the door is closed, the Princess sits up in her bed. "Trouble getting in?" she asks with a smile only visible by the fire in the hearth on the opposite side of the room. 

"You shouldn't be awake," I tease, stretching my arms above my head. "Did a birdie tell you I was coming? How did you know?" 

"I didn't," she mumbles, gesturing vaguely to the door, "their laughing kept me up most of the night." 

"Would you like me to make them quiet?" I ask, bowing my head slightly. 

"I would," she replies, and I nod. 

"It shall be done, Princess," I whisper, and she begins to giggle. I stand up straight, smiling, and say, "I'm headed over to the Avatar's quarters. He and his friend are going to take lessons from Master Pakku this morning and I have to be there to watch." 

"Sokka's a waterbender?" Princess Yue asks. 

"I didn't seem to think so, but I can't imagine Master Pakku would allow a girl in his classes, no matter where she was from," I reply, and the Princess shoots me a knowing look. "I don't count, your highness." 

"I didn't say you did," she says innocently, glancing away and holding her hands up. I smirk and roll my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest. "You'd better get going soon if you're going to catch him before he wakes. Tell Sokka I said hello." 

"I will," I reply, bowing my head to her. "Get some rest. The guards won't keep you awake anymore." 

"Thank you, Saki," she whispers. 

"Of course, Princess," I respond before turning away and heading back to the door. I open it cautiously, step out in between the guards, and— without stepping away— close the door behind me. Staring straight forward with what would be a Yue-approved look of emotionlessness, I state, "If either one of you makes a noise that wakes the Princess, I'll use you both as target practice."