9 || What is Worth?

(Unedited, Not Proofread, 3476 words)

(A/N: Before I begin, I know Chief Arnook and Master Pakku would not be as mad at Masha as they are about to be. But, for the sake of the story, they are. Deal with it.)

The day I feared has finally come. 

I'm sitting in a healer's hut on the morning after the end of the siege, my chest wrapped in bandages because it took too long for the waterbenders to truly get their bending back. I had to be treated with medicine instead, and in that time, my identity was revealed. 

Now I wait patiently. For... something. I'm not sure who's going to come and tell me I'm banished, but I know someone will. 

To my surprise, my family is the first to arrive. But there are some pieces missing. 

"My baby..." my mother whispers as she runs in. She is careful not to touch the wounds, but she hugs me as tight as she can. "I'm so sorry, my love. You did so well. I'm sorry." 

"It's okay, Ma," I mumble, no emotion in my voice or in my chest. "Does everyone know?" 

"Spread like wildfire," Izira says, cursing afterward. 

"Mom," Ma snaps, and Izira crosses her arms over her chest. I close my eyes and lead into my mother's hug, the sensation of dread and emptiness sinking further and further until I am once again a hallow shell. "It's okay, my love. I'm sure it will be okay." 

"I'll never waterbend again," I whisper, and when I look up at Izira, I know I'm right. She avoids my gaze, but there are tears visible in her eyes. She never cries. 

"You will," my mother promises, pulling back and cupping my cheeks in her hands. "Chief Arnook will understand." 

"We lied," I say plainly, and she can't argue with me. After a few moments of silence, I look around and ask, "Where's Dad and Grandpa?" 

Ma looks back at Izira, and the two women inhale deeply and turn back to me. Ma is the one who eventually speaks up, "Your grandfather was seriously injured, Saki—"

"He was basically killed," Izira states firmly, and I my eyes widen. 

"Mom!" Ma shouts. "Saki is hurt! Please have some respect!"

"Look at yourself!" Izira yells at my mother, flames appearing around her hands. "You know her name and yet you still call her Saki! Do you even know who your child is?" 

"Stop fighting!" I beg, and they both fall silent and stare at me. "Just... stop! Where is Dad?" 

"He's helping clean up," Ma says softly, and I sigh, covering my face with my bandaged hands. 

Someone walks in and I can't bring myself to look at who it is until I hear Katara ask, "Am I interrupting?" I pull my hands away from my face and look up at the girl, finding her smiling at me as my mother and my grandmother look at each other. 

"No, you're alright," Ma says. "We'll give you two a minute." She stands and kisses my forehead before leaving the room with Izira right behind her. 

As soon as they're gone, Katara exhales deeply and questions, "How are you feeling?" 

"Horrible," I reply, watching her walk to the windows and pull them open, allowing the sunlight to filter in. "Just found out my grandpa was really hurt, and all my mother and her mom can do is fight about it." Katara gasps and turns to look at me. 

"I'm so sorry," she says, walking over and sitting down next to me. "Is there anything I can do to help you?"

"Not unless you can go back thousands of years and make it so women can waterbend in this tribe," I whisper, slowly laying down on my back with my legs hanging off the cot I'm on.