Bring me Another Life

MC has logged into the RFA messenger.

Saeyoung Choi went by many names…

Seven, Seven Oh Seven, Luciel, Defender of Justice, and… Cat Abuser.

He was hesitant on adding the last nickname, but Jumin Han insisted.

Every few years the woman Luciel believed he loved would log onto the RFA messenger and play each member's story.

She would pick Zen’s first, then Yoosung’s, and lastly Jaehee’s, until she had earned enough hourglasses for him. Each time she entered the name of “MC” and confirmed her presence with the selection of the same first options as usual, his mechanical heart would falter.

He didn't know anything about this woman.

Only the fact that every round she had to do her best to not flirt with him, as it would ruin the ending.

Sometimes, she couldn't help herself… selecting the options that gained her the most hearts with him, knowing that it would inevitably end in failure without unlocking a deep story first.

He tried to stick to the script, he tried to hide his hurt when she didn't choose him… but ultimately, he felt pieces inside himself that he wasn't aware he had, break.

When she eventually did choose him however, she picked those pieces up and glued them together with the simple selection of a scripted phrase.

And then she would leave.

Her life would get busy, as her time for the members of the RFA grew shorter.

Along with her time for him.

Was she as lonely as he was?

Were they her comfort?

More importantly, would he ever know?

When MC entered the chat this time, she changed her usual choices. Luciel could sense a difference within her. Doubt inside of him pooled as he considered the possibility that it wasn't the woman he cared for, and instead, another player. But that doubt dissolved quickly when this stranger attempted his route.

She was playing as a guest, and hadn't even unlocked it yet.

He heard the sweet sound of her laughter from behind the screen as she selected his funniest dialogue, played along with his pranks, and never failed to answer his calls.

He was her comfort.

And in a world where his heart was made from wires, she still managed to make it thud against his chest.

One day she opened the app, and the usual sound of her laughter didn't reverberate through the screen. Luciel felt his once dry jacket collect…water?

It was cold, and while he didn't think he would've been able to feel it, his whole body shivered.

She was crying.

Luciel felt himself fight against the usual script. He freed himself from the usual dialogue, he tore himself away from what was expected of his character.

And he tried to type out,

“Are you okay?”

The crying stopped.

She looked down at the phone with widened eyes and a puzzled expression. Instead of the usual options she was given to select, she could actually type in the box.

“I don't really know how to handle my life.”

Luciel pondered this for a moment, before typing on his computer what he deemed a fitting response.