XIV. MAYBE, JUST MAYBE

𝐑𝐈𝐍 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐘/𝐍, their names were everywhere. from social media, across schools. you wouldn't be able to go somewhere without atleast a single mention of their names.

the two have became an outstanding pair, and considering that they were just young children; it was truly admirable to have talent comparable to high class players.

★✮★

the entire field was sharing the same sentiment with sweat coated skin and heavy breaths, however, there were two certain players still pushing through like it was their last game.

sneaky attacks and tricks in an attempt to stop the two were a fail as they sprinted in all sorts of ways, knowing if one of them failed, the other would successfully be able to shoot or pass.

"RIN!" a desperate shout echoed through rin and the boy's mind. 'that was embarrassing..', but he didn't have time to think of those silly little thoughts. right now, he had his eyes set on rin, and rin alone.

making eye contact, rin knew exactly what he wanted. he needed to make a pass to y/n when he reached- right there!

making a pass, y/n was already in a position to shoot and immediately shot.

someone lifted him up, it was rin. his..hands were on his waist along with his other teammates. shouts from the audience and a proud look in his coaches eyes. he lived for this kind of praise. he felt like he was on top of the world right now. he was content with his goal.

the opponent team was still looking at the ball in their net. thankfully they took the lose quite well. without much complaint, the two teams thanked each other for the match, complimenting each other.

★✮★

the players were in their locker rooms and most gulping down their bottles.

"y/n."

"hm?" he was drinking his water and a towel round his neck.

"nice..shot."

the h/c was pleasantly surprised from his compliment. if he were honest, a single compliment from itoshi rin was one he'd die to get, unlike from all the others he's received.

y/n's cheeks dusted a pretty pink shade as he uttered out a soft 'thank you'.

rin himself seemed to get bashful to. he was getting embarrassed, because he thought that y/n thought that his bit of praise was unworthy and that got his ears to have turn a little red.

★✮★

on the walk home, y/n had stopped for ice cream, he had an unbearable craving throughout the whole day and he just needed something to snack out while he and rin walked together.

"are you seriously going to buy ice cream now?"

truth be told the green-haired individual wanted a scoop for himself, but he was too stubborn to say it out loud. fortunately, y/n knew him more than he knew himself at this point.

"yes. what's your point? you want one?"

forcing rin to answer when the reply was obvious was one of his favorite things to do, considering that rin's temper have changed severely, along with his attitude, it was the thrill that got him going with it.

"..."

a pretty yet cocky smirk crawled up to the h/c boy's lips as he giggled and ordered f/f ice cream and rin's favorite, mint chocolate.

after paying, he and rin walked out of the shop and ate ice cream together. side-by-side. shoulders touching. god...this was way too much for a teenager to handle.

walking to the rail facing the ocean, rin sat on the edge while y/n sat on the rail. it was most definitely dangerous for the two, but who cares? you only get to live once after all.

"rin, what would you do if I wasn't here with you on the field?"

those words sounded awfully similar to want his brother asked him, but he answered for the sake of his friend.

"then I'd fight alone. those lukewarm players don't stand a chance between me and you."

this situation was giving him deja vú, and he wasn't particularly fond of that memory.

"why? did you get recruited by a international team? are you gonna leave me? like sae?"

the h/c male blinked as he shook his head hastily.

"huh? no! not at all! don't get worked up so easily!"

"oh. then why are you asking me this?"

"nothing. just curious."

EXTRA / ADDITIONAL TIME:

y/n always loved getting on rin's nerves, it was always a 50/50 whether rin would tell him to shut up and keep his cool or just burst out of annoyance and end up bickering.

"hey rin! isn't that sae?!"

"huh?! where..?!" rin's tone immediately was filled with curiousity and slight fury.

"oh. nevermind. 'was someone else"

"..asshole"

"hey! you can't say that to your senior!"

"okay, old man"

"hey!!"

well. 'guess that backfired for him.