Chapter 13

Gods, I hate my life.

Ember sighed as she saw Bradford waiting by the Quartermaster's station.

"Would you believe me if I told you the battery died, so I had to be given another shop and put gas in it? But everything is ready so we can roll..." Ember trailed off when she saw his scowl growing deeper.

"You have no idea how easy you have it, Boot."

"Excuse me?"

"When I was a rookie, I'd get here two hours before roll call to get the best shop from the motor pool, re-wash it, and load the gear."

"So you've always been wound-up, huh? And here I thought I was bringing out the best of you." Ember smirked.

"You wanna change up your words before I make you walk all morning during patrol?"

Ember had no doubt he would do that to her, so she cleared her throat, "What I meant to say was I appreciate the wisdom you impact on me. I can only hope I'll have your support during my journey." She gave me a fake smile. Bradford growled and pointed an accusative finger at Ember, but before he could say anything, a clerk summoned him to Grey's office. He shot a look at his rookie.

"Get the shop set up, I'll be right back."

"Ember repeated his words mockingly under her breath as she received the weapons from the Quartermaster. She finally finished getting everything ready and noticed her T.O was long, so she went to look for him.

On her third guess, she found him in the briefing room alone. She stands in front of Bradford and sees his troubled look.

"Are you okay? Was wondering why it was taking you a while." Bradford looked up at Ember, but something else caught his attention as he quickly stood and looked over her shoulder. Ember turned and saw Isabel being escorted by two detectives. Bradford steps out and heads to Grey's office. Ember was glad she wasn't in that room with all the tension, and just by the look on her T.O's face informed her she was in for a rough ride, but when hadn't she had one?

_______________________________________

After a stressful patrol, the duo were back in the booking room. Ember did try to behave herself and just follow her T.O's lead, but she had to say something about their latest arrest.

"I thought public urination is usually a citation?" She asked, trying to gauge Bradford's reaction, which completely blew in her face as he went on a bender about brushing up on her California Penal Code.

"Mhmm. Not challenging your wisdom once again, but this will never stick."

"It doesn't matter. Start processing." Ember saw his expression dull a bit as he looked at one of the cells. She figured that his wife was probably in one of them and decided to do him a solid.

"I can give you a shout if I see the detectives." Bradford gives Ember a once-over as though trying to sense some form of deceit, and with some hesitant moves, quickly nods at her and enters cell three.

After a short while, Bradford walked out with his hands in his pockets, looking down. He finally reached where Ember was, lost in thought.

"Everything alright?" she raised her eyebrow.

"Let's just get this over with." he moved slowly towards their shop. Ember didn't immediately follow, looking back at cell three where Isabel was locked in. She tilted her head, wondering what the hell happened, and thought about asking her T.O, but remembered her own stance on personal boundaries, figuring it would be hypocritical of her to ask questions.

As the evening progressed, bringing in the silent night atmosphere, Bradford sneaked up the door to Isabel's apartment, picked the lock and let himself inside. As he looked around, he couldn't help but reminisce about his conversation with Isabel.