Chapter 1

As the sun gently filtered through the curtains, Sidharth Oberoi, known simply as Sid, groaned softly as he tried to ease himself out of bed. His spine, riddled with osteoporosis, protested with every movement. With a grimace, he reached for the backbrace for his lower back and another brace for his upper back. Only then could he even contemplate starting his day.

"Ah, yeh dard!" (Ah, this pain!) Sid muttered to himself, fastening the braces tightly around his torso. He glanced at the clock and sighed. Another day, another battle with pain, and another round of wrangling his mischievous twins, Rey and Miu.

Downstairs, Raj and Meera were already up, preparing breakfast and discussing the day's plans. Raj noticed Sid's strained expression as he entered the kitchen.

"Kaisa hai tu, beta?" (How are you, son?) Raj asked, concern evident in his voice.

"Bas, wahi purana dard, Dad," (Just the same old pain, Dad) Sid replied, forcing a smile. "Need to get these kids ready for school before they turn the house upside down."

As if on cue, Rey and Miu thundered down the stairs, their laughter echoing through the house.

"Dadu! Dadi!" they chimed, rushing to greet their grandparents.

"Arre, calm down, you two!" Sid scolded, his tone sharp but tinged with affection. "You'll wake the neighbors."

"Sorry, Dad," Rey said sheepishly, flashing a grin that mirrored his father's.

Miu, on the other hand, simply stuck out her tongue, earning a reproachful look from Sid.

"Mom, breakfast ready hai?" (Mom, is breakfast ready?) Sid called out as he herded the kids towards the table.

"Haan, beta, bas do minute!" (Yes, son, just two minutes!) Meera replied, bustling around the kitchen.

Once the chaos of breakfast was over and the kids were finally on their way to school (albeit a bit late), Sid sank into his recliner with a sigh of relief.

"Finally, some peace and quiet," he murmured, closing his eyes briefly.

But peace was a luxury Sid seldom enjoyed for long. His phone buzzed with a reminder for his morning medications, and he grimaced as he forced himself to stand up once more. Meera appeared at his side, a concerned frown creasing her forehead.

"Medicine time, Sid," she said gently, handing him a glass of water and his pills.

"Thanks, Mom," Sid replied, swallowing the medication with a grimace.

As the day wore on, Sid found himself constantly on the move, tending to his children's needs while battling his own pain. Whether it was bending down to tie Rey's shoelaces or lifting Miu's backpack, every task seemed to magnify his discomfort.

"Dadu, can you help me with this?" Rey would ask, holding up a book too heavy for his father to lift.

"Dadi, look what Rey did!" Miu would exclaim, pointing to a mess that made Sid's blood pressure spike.

Through it all, Raj and Meera were a constant source of support, offering massages and meals with unwavering love and patience.

"Tu zyada soch mat, Sid," (Don't overthink it, Sid) Raj would say, kneading Sid's tense muscles with practiced hands.

"Yeh lo, Sid chai," Meera would say, placing a steaming cup of tea by Sid's side.

And amidst the chaos and pain, there were moments of pure joy and laughter. Rey and Miu's antics, though sometimes exasperating, never failed to bring a smile to Sid's face.

"Dad, you won't believe what happened at school today!" Rey would exclaim, launching into a dramatic retelling of his latest escapade.

"Dad, can we have ice cream for dinner?" Miu would plead, her doe eyes wide with innocence.

And in those moments, Sid would forget his pain, if only for a little while, and revel in the simple joy of being a father.

As the day drew to a close and the kids were tucked into bed, Sid finally allowed himself to relax, the weight of the day's responsibilities lifting from his shoulders.

"Goodnight, Dadu. Goodnight, Dadi. Goodnight Dad," Rey and Miu whispered, their voices fading into sleep.

"Goodnight, my darlings," Sid murmured, pressing a kiss to their foreheads.

And as he settled into bed, surrounded by the warmth and love of his family, Sid knew that no matter how tough the days may be, he would always have his children by his side, his greatest source of strength and joy.

If by any chance you happen to stumble upon this book, please do leave feedback and suggestions for improvement, as I am a new writer and this is my first book.