Chapter 23. Dovi

"I'll prepare another coffee for Citlali," Kai said.

She was restless, waiting for the vampire to come out of the room.

"Come sit with me," I asked. She stilled her hand on the cupboard door and looked at me. I smiled at her and extended my hand in her direction.

"I'm just..."

"I know," I said. "You're worried about her. But it's important for her and whatever she'll find, we'll be there for her."

Kai nodded and sat on the couch beside me. I rested my head on her shoulder and her breathing slowed. While she stroked my thigh, her body relaxed.

"I'm going to prepare a coffee for you," I said after a while.

"I would definitely need a double caramel latte with whipped cream," she sighed.

I chuckled while standing up. "I'm not sure we have the necessary ingredients for that. But I can go to a coffee shop and bring one back for you if you want."

Kai smiled, but before she could answer, Lali entered the room. She had a notebook in her hand and her eyes were filled with tears.

Kai and I took a step towards her but she crossed past us towards the main door of the house.

"Lali?" I asked.

She turned towards us. Her lower lip was trembling. "I'm alright. I just need some time alone." Her voice broke.

I took another step towards her. "Lali, we're here for you," I said.

"I know, but...I... I can't right now. Please," she said. "I'm sorry."

When Lali left the house, all my instincts screamed at me to follow her. But I respected her wishes, and I let her go.

Kai nestled against me, her heart beating fast. "She's going to be okay," I said. I kissed her hair and stroked her back in slow circles. "Don't worry."

"It's about why Ameyal left her," Kai whispered.

"Probably, yes. She had so many questions for so long. It's not surprising that she's in shock after reading Ameyal's version of their story."

Kai pulled away from my arms. "What do you think happened?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. Ameyal never talked to me about Citlali."

There were so many things she had never told me.

Kai brushed the back of her fingers on my cheek and I closed my eyes. "She seemed so hurt," I said.

"I know."

Kai gave me a soft kiss and curled her arms around my neck, resting her head on my shoulder. I felt wrapped in the scent of her hair. "As you said, we'll be there for her," she said.

 "As you said, we'll be there for her," she said