Chapter 38. Dovi

With Diego's help, we arranged the transfer of Ameyal's body to a secret place in the heart of Manhattan where immortals were buried.

Lee hesitated to come with us, but I wanted to show her that she was not alone. That despite her violent introduction to our world, she could find love and respect with the right people. She finally agreed and the solemnity of the place got to her.

I must say, it also got to me. I had heard of these sanctuaries all over the world but it was the first time I had the opportunity to see one. There was no equivalent for vampires, unfortunately.

When we came back to Ameyal's house, the four of us, I took Lee's coat and hung it near the door, Lali collected all our pairs of gloves, and Kai went directly to the kitchen to make some coffee. And it seemed we had always done that, that we had always been there. Home.

I slid my arms around Citlali's waist and rested my head against her hair, breathing her scent. She turned in my arms and kissed me. "I'm thinking about staying here," she said.

I smiled and kissed her back. "I was thinking the same thing, actually. I feel I belong here, with you."

She tilted her head. "Do we... ask them?"

"You want to ask Lee to stay with us?" I said, wanting to be sure we were on the same page.

She stroked the back of my neck. "You don't?"

"No, I do. Very much so. If she's alright with it, of course. She could use the guest bedroom again."

Lali nodded, kissed me again, and we joined Kai and Lee in the kitchen. They were both already cradling their smoking mug, while two others were waiting for us.

"What would you think about staying here, moving in, all of us?" I said.

Kai's smile enlightened her whole face. Lee seemed more agitated and averted her eyes.

"You don't have to, of course," Lali said.

"I don't... It's so nice of you. But I don't want to be a burden. Not again."

"Sweetheart, you are not a burden," I said. "And you have to understand that you were not a burden for Ameyal either."

Lali nodded. "She had so much affection for you. I know that you brought her joy, and you made her feel less lonely."

"You should read what she wrote about you," Kai said. "I mean, if you want to."

"I'd love to," Lee replied. "Then," she hesitated. "Then, I'd like to stay with you. At least, until I fall back on my feet again."

I smiled at her. "Of course. As long as you want."

"Thank you. Thank you for everything."

"Aww," Kai said. Then with grabby hands, she added: "I think it's group hug time."