3

Eddy softly stirred awake, finding himself in his bed, comfortably tucked in. He saw his violin in the other corner of the room and instinctively began to move, but he was stilled by a gentle hand on his chest.

"Rest Eddy, please."
It was Brett's voice. Brett sat on a chair by the bed and was currently winding a wet cloth which he proceeded to place upon Eddy's forehead.

Eddy was far too exhausted to protest, and let himself fall back into unconsciousness. Before he did, he noticed the neatly wrapped bandage around his fingers and hand, covering the open wounds.

Next time he woke up, Brett wasn't there. Eddy looked around with the energy he could conjure and eventually found the small body. Brett was lying on the ground next to Eddy's bed, sleeping peacefully.

The sight made Eddy's heart ache with guilt. The small man had spend the whole day taking care of him, keeping his body temperature regulated, wrapping his abused fingers, soothing his damaged soul.

Eddy reached out, fumbling in the darkness. His healthy hand reached Brett's cheek. Eddy recoiled at the contact but Brett was already awake.

"How are you feeling?" He asked quietly, careful to not disturb the peaceful silence.
Eddy intentionally avoided the question.
"You shouldn't have to sleep here Brett... on this hard floor..." he managed.

Silence.
"Are you hungry? When did you last eat?"
Now it was Eddy's turn to fall silent.
"I'll fetch you something," Brett continued, and before Eddy could protest, Brett was out of the room.

He came back with two chicken and rice bowls.
"I hope it's ok, it was everything they had this late at night," Brett apologized.
Eddy tried to sit up but his body just didn't seem to let him.

Brett gently helped Eddy up, leaning him against the wall for support. He then picked up a piece of food with the chopsticks and reached it out to Eddy.

Eddy pursed his lips reflexively. He wanted to eat, but something about food just made his stomach churn and eyes water in nausea right now.

"Could... smaller?" Eddy asked in a small voice, ashamed.
Brett cut the pieces smaller without a single second thought or complaint about Eddy being picky or annoying.

Eddy obediently ate the new piece reached out to him. After half the bowl was gone (which took about 2 hours considering the sizes and Eddy's absent appetite) Eddy was struggling with the next bite.

"Do you need a break? We can take a break if you need it, Eddy, it's ok."
Brett's unlimited empathy and kindness tore at Eddy's heart as the realization dawned upon him that he was a monster of a person.

At this, Eddy broke into tears.

Brett simply put the food bowl down and once again brought Eddy into his arms again. He had received no explanation or reason from Eddy's side, nevertheless he had no other goal on his mind than to comfort the other.

Eddy cried. And cried.

Brett didn't let go until the tears subsided to sobs. Eddy now laid in Brett's lap, his pants soaking up the occasional single tears flowing down.

"Why Brett? I've been nothing but repulsive to you, yet you treat me like this... I don't deserve it. You even missed orchestra rehearsal," Eddy talked motionlessly from Brett's lap.

"I think you just spared my ears three hours of Mr. White's eternal whining about the violas," Brett answered, quite nonchalantly.
Of course the real answer was not that simple, but this one did something remarkable.

It drew a small chuckle out of Eddy.

Brett looked down at the sound.
"He does hate violas," Eddy commented.
"Who doesn't," Brett replied, more confident this time in hope to re-experience the same sound from Eddy.

He did receive a small chuckle, before silence fell anew.

"Eddy, are you ok to return to the food? I would like to stay until you have the last bite of that."
The smile on Eddy's lips faded slightly more pained again, but he nodded nevertheless and Brett picked up the food bowl.

This time, they talked as Brett fed Eddy. Brett had multiple funny stories to tell from friends and orchestra experiences, and every time Eddy laughed at any of them it was a win.

Brett picked up the last piece of food. Once again, Eddy pursed his lips just like before.
"It's the last bite, you can do it, I believe in you," Brett encouraged, but Eddy recoiled.

"I know, that's the problem... that means you'll leave when I eat it..."
Brett was surprised to say the least. Eddy wanted him to stay?

Dawn begun since they had spent the night to energize Eddy's malnourished body.

"I've deprived you of your entire night, the least I can do is let you stay, though I understand if you want to go..." Eddy continued.

Brett's wide eyes slowly turned normal and a faint smile grew.
"I'll stay if you take the last bite," he teased, more comfortable to do so in the other's presence now.

Eddy happily ate.