𝐗𝐈. hamilton is a hermes dupe

CHAPTER IV
hamilton is a hermes dupe

    THE ZOOTRUCK WASN'T EXACTLY the most ideal place be in

THE ZOOTRUCK WASN'T EXACTLY the most ideal place be in. It was loud, smelly, and Scarlett was pretty sure there were flies around them. The group all huddled together in a corner, lying down on mildewed feed snacks.

Grover was the first to fall asleep. He was pretty much out like a light. Annabeth slept a few minutes after. Scarlett just stared at the ceiling, the day replaying in her mind. Not that she would ever admit this to anyone, but what happened at Waterland terrified her. Seeing a person turn to gold right in front of her eyes, not being able to do anything about it...that's gonna be in her nightmares.

Scarlett also couldn't help but feel slightly skeptical about Clarisse being the lightning thief. When Grover told them, she was surprised about that conclusion. He made some good points... but was it really her? Clarisse wasn't her favorite person, at all, but she wasn't necessarily the worst either. She had a tough life, and Ares was pretty much a horrible father to have. Scarlett hoped it wasn't her.

Scarlett had a feeling sleep wasn't going to take her yet, so she grabbed a small pack of Oreos (she may or may not have stolen from the diner), and started eating them. With all the action from the day, she barely had time to even have a proper meal.

Of course, she wasn't the only one up. She could see Percy shifting in his place, attempting to get comfortable. He opened his eyes at the sound of Scarlett's chewing.

"You can't sleep?" Percy whispered.

Scarlett shook her head. Then she split her Oreo in half, wordlessly handing a part of it to him. Percy took it gratefully.

"So about what happened..." Percy began. "I never really got a chance to thank you."

"It was nothing," Scarlett played it off, munching on another cookie.

"It wasn't nothing." Percy scoffed, taking a bite of his. "I'd still be a golden statue right now if it wasn't for you. Not everyone can convince a god to undo his machine."

"I'll have you know I'm great at convincing."

She wondered if Percy heard what she said when he was in his statue form. How she told Hephaestus that he was better than the gods, and how she cares about him. Also calling him a friend. Yeah, she hoped he did not hear her say that. She was not gonna give him any of that satisfaction.

"Yeah, you are." Percy grinned. Then his eyes softened. "But uh-thank you again. For not leaving me behind."

"As if I would ever." Scarlett rolled her eyes, a small smile creeping on her face. She lied down. She saw Percy smile, then close his eyes.