Anticipation

Monty had always hated herself; after all, she was a genius. They found she could spell fantastically, but she hated long words with passion, right down to their little aggravating syllables.

They're why she ended up where she was at the current moment: standing in a wobbly line made of little snickering, blindfolded brats who were all buzzing positively, eager to put their peers to shame by showing how smart they were. Monty couldn't share their sentiment. Peeking from her blindfold, she counted the number of bodies in front of her; 6 did not ease her mind.

"Subject 821-3-4559. Come forward. Your word is...optimistic," echoed a gruff, baritone voice. The chatter hushed for a moment. It had started.

"Optimistic", a chipper voice had started, "O-P-T-A-."

A click. A sizzling buzz. A light thud. A shuffle forward. The chatter continues.

Monty's body shook in aggravation as her clenched, white-knuckled hands grasped the tingly, wooden chair. This situation wasn't fair. It was so unfair to Monty that it sent shivers shimmying all way to her gut. She took a deep breath. She had decided.

"Next," barked a roughish voice, "Subject 129-7-2336. Step forward. Your word is...inquisitive."

Monty trudged towards the chair. There was no repulsion for the knowledge she was unfairly expected to possess. No trace of fear as she imagined the frightening scowl she'd get by those greedy mongers who drilled their inconceivable hopes onto her. There was no remorse for those who were neglected for being failures. Instead, there was hope.

"Inquisitive.", she quipped with a lisp.

"I-N-Q-U-I-S-I-T-I-V- ", she paused.

A brilliance of hope shined on their faces! Perhaps they wouldn't have to give up their research! For they had truly found an intellect they could mold and press into whatever they wanted! They leaned forward, anticipating.

Monty sank their hopes.

"-H.", she finished with a sly sneer as their flames of greed were instantly doused.

"Well, that's certainly a shame. Another failure...," they collectively dismissed as they sighed in disappointment. "Next!"

A click. A sizzling buzz. A resounding silence. A light thud. A shuffle forward. The chatter continues.