(27)aftermath

The Hunger Games were over. The Capitol broadcasted our return home in the Capitol, creating an outroar in the districts. They thought it was rigged, the two star-crossed lovers surviving. President Ravenstill couldn't contain the spark, causing him to be displaced from his position.

Pup kept his word and went to university, studying to become a politician, and becoming a main piece in the downfall of the games. He fought for district solidarity and ending the games. He later became the president of Panem.

"This day marks a new era." he announces over his microphone during his inauguration, 5 years after the games. Treech and I stand behind him proud of his growth. "An end to the separation of our nation, an end to a reign of terror, and an end to the cruelty that is the Hunger Games." He scans the crowd to look at all the adoring faces from all districts, no barriers blocking them off anymore. "The journey of change that lies ahead will be challenging, as we have generations of scars to heal, but with the help of everyone, we will turn our nation around and build a better future."

The crowd cheers at his speech and I am moved to tears. Now, we are free from the era of fear we had grown up in. I turn to hug Treech, who is also getting emotional. "Our kids will be safe." he whispers to me, holding me close. Pup runs over to us giving us a big hug, before walking over to his husband, Hilarius. They both write to us and visit 7 occasionally, joining our friend group for days at the lake.

The kind nurse from the Capitol, Armilia, moved into 7 to be a medic. She started a hospital with the help of my victor's money and has helped numerous citizens of 7. She and my father fell in love and got married, making her my mother. They stayed in the Morino/Lamada house where they take care of Lucy, now the last kid in the house at 15 years old. Aspen and Alder are 21 now, both married with their dream person and have now buolt separate identities. Aspen has become chubbier, working in the bakery with Treech. Alder has gained some muscle, spending his days working in the woods as a Lumberjack. Over the years, I've become the big sister of the little Morinos, spending my free time gossiping and going on little dates with Lucy and going drinking with the twins, also teaching them how to throw knives. Everybody meets up as much as we can during dinners and holidays, becoming one big, happy, free family.

Lamina got married to Sylvie and had me as her bridesmaid. I gave a soppy speech during the reception about how we would joke about dating a rich Capitol man, but she found her riches, happiness, love, and freedom, with Sylvie. I returned the favor, making her the bridesmaid at my wedding.

Our friend group never broke up. The boys apologized for setting me up with Raymond and the girls have created a sisterhood between us. Growing old together, we have weaved fond memories of our lives and continue to build on it, creating the family I barely had before the games.

Now, 8 years after the games, we sit in a grassy meadow, the sun rising over the horizon. Treech, my husband, is teaching our son, Barker, how to juggle. We had two beautiful children, Barker, who's 3, and Azalea, who is 6 months. Treech and I, both 25 years old, have moved out of the Morino's house and bought one close to the lake, our lake. We adopted a black cat off the streets, which we named Rue. Our love has grown increasingly as time goes on, enjoying every precious moment with each other, solidifying our dedication to one another at our wedding. 

Suddenly, I hear wailing in my arms. I look down and see Azalea crying, waking up from her nap.

"Aww Azzy. Did you have a nightmare?" I ask, rocking her in my arms. "I have nightmares, too. Someday I'll explain it to you. Why they came, why they won't ever go away." I look at her sadly, still trying to calm her. Treech and I, despite our happy ending, are still haunted by the horrors of the games. Sometimes, we get nightmares or hear the zing of a knife and suddenly we're 17 and fighting for our lives back in the arena. Little by little, we've fought through it, but it has become an important piece in our complicated puzzle of life.

 "But I'll tell you how I survive it." I continue, bouncing her in my arms. "I make a list in my head of all the good things I have. Every little thing I can remember. It's like a game. I do it over and over." 

My parents, blood and marriage, Pa and Armilia, Sirus and Leila. My siblings, Aspen, Alder, and Lucy. My friends, Lamina, Jennifer, Phyll, Sylvie, Douglas, Lennox, Pup, and Hilarius. My children, Barker, Azalea, and Rue. And last but not least, my everything. Family, best friend, ally, classmate, enemy, lover, and soulmate, my Treech. I have him, I have my life, I have my found family, I have my freedom, I have my happiness.

  "Gets a little tedious after all these years," I remark. "...but there are much worse games to play."

Azalea coos and giggles, wrapping her tiny hand around my thumb. Treech looks over at us and smiles, dropping his juggling balls in his hands. Barker follows in pursuit, jumping into Treech's now free arms. Treech, surprised, spins around with him in his arms, tossing him up and playing with him.

Still handsome as ever, Treech got the life he dreamed about at 17 when he was in the zoo. He has a family, kids, a bakery, and happiness. His face radiated this joy, his smile brighter than ever, and his eyes twinkling in 7's glowing sun.

I smile at the happy family. My happy family. My Treech, the boy I once despised, was now the one I couldn't imagine life without. The games, my enemy, and the horror, are all history now, and I am set free from my shackles.

From a nobody, to District 7's first volunteer, to a star-crossed lover, to the 10th annual Hunger Games victor, to a somebody.

The future of Panem has changed, and it started with the unnoticed girl from 7, Sierra Morino.

a/n: omg guys my child is finished!

thank you to everyone for supporting me along this journey. i wrote this one day instead of my english essay because was bored and obsessed with treech. this project has become a part of me, and it will be so hard to let it go. i will still add little bits and pieces to it, some cute little stories of sierra, treech, lamina, the friend group, the family, the mentors, and corio-anus(ew). 

if you enjoyed this, check out my new story coming soon, "magnetic." it is another treech fanfic(i am in too deep) from the perspective of his mentor, seraphina mason, the capitol hothead. some more information is in the last chapter, cherry blossom paths.

when i started, i never would've thought i'd make it this far. as of april fourth, 2024, i have 25 engaged readers, 1296 total reads, 53 votes, 12 comments, and readers from the us, canada, mexico, brazil, spain, portugal, france, uk, new zealand, australia, myanmar, turkey, japan, sweden, germany, poland, austria, and belgium!!! 

for now, thank you to everyone. thank you for the support and love. thank you to my 4 followers at this time, treechthg, retrol0ver94, blackoutdays13, and wistfulthoughts. thank you to retrol0ver94 for voting on all the chapters and treechthg for being my first follower and commenter. i love you all.

i hope you enjoyed the story of sierra lamada and treech morino