Honey, You're Familiar Like My Mirror Years Ago

~~~

Honey, you're familiar like my mirror years ago
Idealism sits in prison, chivalry fell on its sword
Innocence died screaming, honey, ask me I should know
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door

From Eden - Hozier

~~~

The mind forgets, but the heart will always remember. And what is the heart's memory but love itself?

Curled up snugly between your breasts, head poking out from your cleavage, Ouroboros was staring at Lucifer smugly. Sitting in the speakeasy, you and the Devil in a booth to the right of the bar, you were attempting to teach him one of the trickier measures you had played, however, the man was distracted by the snake, glaring daggers at it.

"My eyes are up here, Luci," you scolded the man, his cheeks heating up, he scoffed at you.

"How do you expect me to focus with that?" he motioned to Ourbi who intentionally stuck his tongue out at him, "see?"

The narrow expression of outrage on his round face made you chuckle softly, rolling your eyes.

"Why do you even let him do that?" he asked, though you noted that his tone was laced with a hint of... jealousy?

"Meh, it doesn't bother me too much and it keeps him happy," you shrugged, using the bow of your fiddle to boop the snake on the nose, the creature hissing and snuggling closer to your chest.

The calming beat of your heart thrummed in the ears of Ouroboros, his body longing to curl up next to it and feel it always. He knew you. He recognized you the instant you held him and he only wished Lucifer could do the same, but the mind often forgets what the soul always remembers.

Though he may lack the common and practical thought, Ouroboros' intelligence laid in the memory of emotion and he knew you like the feathers of his wings. You were his Meri and he was part of your Lux and he would cling to you, ensuring you would stay this time. He couldn't afford to lose you again; it would break both him and his counterpart. So he would wait impatiently for you to reveal yourself, even if it took years, as long as you were here with him.

"Ugh, seriously? You don't have to tolerate it, you know?" Lucifer pressed, snapping his fingers as a tiny golden cage appeared on the table next to you, making you raise a brow as he continued, "I can always put him in a timeout- give him a little time to reflect."

From your chest, Ouroboros hissed again, hiding his face down under the hem of your sweetheart neckline dress, concealing himself fully beneath the blue fabric. The hilarity of the snake's actions made you laugh, your amusement growing clearer as Lucifer practically growled at his soul.

Teasingly, you flirted with the Devil, grinning from ear to ear, "What, are you jealous of the snake? Would you prefer to be in his place?"

That gave you the response you were hoping for, Lucifer's cheeks flaring brightly as his words died on his lips. He could barely make eye contact with you, covering his mouth with his hand as he coughed, attempting to regain his composer, the aureate cage he had summoned vanishing in a puff of red mist.

"I- what, no! Of course not!"

"Mhm, sure." you responded sarcastically, his embarrassment worsening with every taunt that left your lips.

"I don't!"

"Oh, I believe you, Luci, I'm sure you're not imagining being where Ourbi is right now-"

You were cut off as he lurched over the table to cover your mouth, his face red as a tomato, he shook his head, gaze still avoiding yours. Taking your chance at being as childish as possible, you licked his hand. The instant he felt your tongue on his palm he drew back with a small gasp, eyes wide, his expression full of shock, aghast as you burst out laughing, his embarrassment now joined by a glare.