Twilight Of Sorrow

Every day we welcome a new pain, and instead of getting used to that pain, it becomes something new to us. We lost our home; there were no good clothes to put on and enough food to eat. Life was just hard for us. 

I was beginning to lose hope and life itself. But Maha was someone who never gave up hope. She was someone who would always smile and say that if we didn't give up on life, spring would come.

One day, I and some other homeless children were sitting under one scattered roof when some soldiers came to us. Their smile was like the morning sun, their voice was as soothing as the chirping voices of the birds, and they said they were here to aid us after they learned about what happened to us.

We were scared and happy. We're scared that they might be bad people and that they're here to hurt us, but considering the way they approach us, we believe they're here to protect us, and because of that, we're happy.

They said they would help us with food, clothes, and shelter. They said there are many homeless kids like us there, and we will be able to make friends there. We agreed, for both ourselves and our younger ones' sake, but Maha didn't want to go.

"I'm sure it's not a bad place," I told Maha, and she agreed. 

I was happy that I would get to protect Maha from the evils of this world, but then something didn't feel right while we were heading to the place they said.

It's like they're not what they portray to us in the first place. We're scared because the place doesn't look like a good place, but we didn't speak our mind, and it's like they're not the soldiers they said they were.

I hug Maha, afraid that if I let her go, something will happen to her.

"I don't want to go. Let me off. I want to go home! I don't think I can do it anymore. I want to see my mom!." Nada finally said.

But what we saw next shattered our last hope. She was killed—she was killed in front of us.

Nada was a girl who lost her parents just like us, and she always told us how she wanted to be happy. She said life is not sweet again since her parents are not alive, but she wants to live and help other girls like her. 

But she was killed, and that dream was also killed with her.

"Is there anyone who wants to go home?" They asked us.

Me and the other girls on the truck didn't say anything. I don't know if I failed, Baba, because I could tell we weren't simply going to a safe place. I failed him, and I failed to protect Maha.

We finally reach our destination because half of the journey we were sleeping, they all drunk us, and we just find ourselves in a place we never knew. And just like that, I know that life for us is just a tale of miseries we will keep experiencing. 

"Get a move." They both drag us.

They made us change and took us to a long corridor, where they put us into the rooms one by one. Every soldier carried one girl to a room, and I looked but couldn't do anything when Maha was also dragged.

Life was hard; we were abused, beaten, and all sorts of evil. I was damaged, but I'm happy because I could take Maha's pain. I allowed them to ruin me again and again instead of Maha because I didn't think I would live if they did something to her. So I agreed; any day that happen to be Maha's turn, I will go instead, and Maha will be freed.