Chapter 3

Two weeks had passed since Dipper had gotten that flower for Ford. During those two weeks, he had been running around town helping Mabel with a major project. Though she hadn't told him what the said project was, he still allowed her to drag him all over town to get supplies and talk with her friends. Pacifica, Grenda, and Candy were also helping her with this 'project'.

He was finally free from all the shopping, socializing, and driving. Ford didn't need any help, and he had already finished his shift at the shack. So he made his way to the forest to relax. This time, he only brought one of his books to read. He sat under a tree at the edge of the first clearing he came across and began reading. Hours passed before he finished the book, and he decided he'd explore the remainder of the forest the next day since it was already late afternoon. So, he strolled back to the shack for dinner and a good night's rest.

The next morning, he told Ford that he's going to explore the forest. As soon as he finished eating breakfast, he grabbed his bag and left the shack. He strolled through the forest, his hair blowing in the wind, temporarily revealing his birthmark. As usual, he sketched creatures that he took interest in and jotted a few notes on them at the back of the pages as he wandered around the forest. After a few hours, he came across a group of Kill Billies. Did he wander that far into the forest? Damn it!

Dipper hid behind a cluster of trees and patiently waited for them to leave. When they had finished whatever they were discussing in their odd language, they left through the path Dipper came from. Thus, he was forced to find another way to get back to his side of the forest - the safer side of the forest.

He kept walking for a few minutes before stumbling across a clearing. He sighed in relief. He could finally relax for a bit. Hopefully, those kill billies were long gone now...

He pushed through the branches of the trees and entered the clearing. "Oh..." Dipper gulped as he stood frozen. Across from him, in the same clearing, stood a statue of a certain triangular demon. "Bill..." Dipper clenched his fists and pulled on his backpack straps. "On second thought, it's getting late. I should go." The brunet turned back around and left.

He navigated through the forest without a path and soon found his way to the shack. He didn't have to greet anyone since Ford and Stanley were out, and Mabel was in the attic with her friends. So, he went straight to his room and took a long nap.

Days passed since Dipper had been to the forest and discovered Bill's statue. He had helped run the shack for a few days since Soos was planning a surprise for his and Melody's anniversary. He didn't mind when Soos asked him to take over for two or three days, but it had kept him busy. In fact, it helped distract him from all the thoughts circling in his head. And he was very grateful for that distraction.

Soos had returned today and relieved Dipper of his temporary duty. So, he went to Ford to see if he could help with anything. Much to his disappointment, Ford was taking Mabel to the mall to hang out with Pacifica. Stanley was also going with them, so Dipper decided to ask Mabel if he could come along. She had replied saying that it was a girl's trip and he wouldn't like it. Wendy and Robbie were hanging out with their friends in some place in town. So, that left Dipper at the shack... alone... watching tourists go in and out of the shack. Maybe he should go sketch some more creatures? Or check up on the gnomes?

Dipper walked through the forest. He had diverted from his usual path a few minutes ago. Though he had not known where he was going. He was simply walking to try to calm down and clear his thoughts.

After a few more minutes, he stood in the same clearing he did a few days ago. This time, however, he did not freeze, nor did he immediately leave. Instead, he walked toward the statue to get a better view. He stopped a few feet from the outstretched hand. "Even in death, you want to make a deal?" He chuckled bitterly. At the sight of Bill, the burnet felt a mixture of anger, frustration, and sadness. Maybe he should just let out everything that has been bottled up inside him? No one's here... and... it would help to clear his thoughts, wouldn't it?

"Do you have any idea what you put me through?" Dipper clenched his fist as he stared at the statue. "What you put Mabel through?!" Tears lined his eyes as his voice rose in anger. "Our parents thought we were crazy. Demons and mysteries and whatnot. I got nightmares because of you!" Dipper rolled his eyes. Was this really necessary? Was he really going to vent to a statue? Of his enemy, to be specific? But... even he had to admit, it was helping.

"They thought we had some mental problem. Mabel had to go to therapy. They thought she was schizophrenic. They made her take medicine for it until she started pretending that you never existed. She lied to herself so much that she genuinely believes you were just a nightmare! That's when they started treating her normal again! You almost ruined her life!" Dipper knew to himself that if Mabel wasn't her bubbly self, she might have fallen into depression or worse. He was grateful that none of it had gotten through to her and that she had him to comfort her and reassure her that she wasn't crazy. Though he wished he had someone to do that for him. He didn't want to burden her with his own problems when she was going through so much, so he was left to deal with his side on his own.

"You're a terrible being, Bill..." Dipper didn't have the energy nor the strength to scream out everything else, to talk about what happened directly to him, so he simply sat down opposite the statue. His anger and frustration had died after his little rant session. "Did you even have a reason? For making our lives so miserable? Even after death?" Of course, the statue didn't respond, but Dipper didn't care. The initial embarrassment when he first started to speak had left a while ago - especially after his brain accepted that no one else was nearby. He felt... calm. Something he hadn't felt in 6 long years. "You know... I think I like this version of you. You just listen, no snarky comments or manipulation tactics." Dipper sighed as he took out his sketchpad and pencils. The pencils brushed over the page with precision, mapping out an exact black and white replica of the scene before him. Bill's statue surrounded by grass and flowers,  moss decorating bits and pieces of the stone, and the few butterflies taking nectar.

When Dipper was finished, he packed up his stuff and got up. He mumbled an awkward goodbye before leaving the clearing and returning to the shack.

When he arrived, he had dinner with his sister and Grunkles before washing the dishes and helping Mabel set up a rainbow light that she got from the mall. She thanked him and headed off to her bed with Waddles. So, Dipper left the room after tucking her in and returned to his own room for some sleep.