XXXI - A Storm is Coming

"A storm is coming that you can't escape
Tears are falling like blood and rain
Thunder's shaking, and it's gonna break
A storm is coming that you can't escape" - A Storm Is Coming, Liv Ash &Tommee Profitt

•••

"Morning, Lady Wayne." Alfred greeted.

"Morning." Bird answered as she pulled her jacket off and draped it over the wooden back of a kitchen chair.

"What brings you by?" He questioned.

He took another drink of his tea and then motioned to the kettle to offer her some. Bird declined with a shake of her head.

"Jim's back at work." Bird explained, "Plus, I wanted to check on Bruce. He was continually calling me with how upset he was about Selina not walking to talk to him since the whole thing happened with her mom, and then a few days ago, he just stopped calling me."

"Ah, yes. He's spent the better part of a month sulking about, but that's all worked itself out now." Alfred said, "She left a note for him to meet her, and it seems they've worked things out. Glad to report Master Bruce has been in much better spirits ever since."

Bird smiled at the good news. It was about time for something to go right for her little brother.

"Is he in Dad's office?" She nodded towards the kitchen door.

"No." Alfred checked his watch, "Should be making an appearance any minute, though."

Bird lowered his eyebrows at the news. It was highly unlike Bruce to sleep in until the later morning hours. He was usually one to rise with the sun.

She was about to ask Alfred if he knew why her brother was sleeping later than usual, but Bruce walked into the room just as she opened her mouth to ask.

"There you are." Bird smiled at him.

Bruce came to a halt, eyes widened in surprise, and didn't greet her back.

The mood had been a little tense between them since he'd learned she'd held back some information about the Court of Owls from him, along with the time she spent away from everyone after Mario was killed.

But she thought things would have returned to normal much quicker after they'd survived the night of Jerome's resurrection and the deadly carnival.

Only he didn't look pleased to see her at all. In fact, he looked for a second like he was about to bolt from the room.

"You okay?" Bird questioned.

Her attention was drawn to a clatter from Alfred getting the cookware out to prepare a late breakfast.

When she looked back at her brother, he now had a broad smile plastered on his face.

"Of course." Bruce answered, "I'm just surprised to see you. Alfred didn't tell me you were stopping by."

"Wasn't given the heads up." Alfred defended, "Staying for breakfast, Lady Wayne?"

She nodded, deciding the least she could do was join them for a meal. Plus, it might help her mind off of Jim's return to work.

"Sorry," Bird's head tilted as she spoke, "Didn't know I needed an invitation to visit my little brother."

"That's not what I meant." Bruce recovered quickly and crossed the room to hug her, "It's so good to see you, Starling."

Returning the embrace, she looked over with a questioning expression to where Alfred had paused to watch the siblings. He gave a slight shrug in response; he wasn't sure why Bruce had been acting a little differently the past couple of days.