Chapter 23: Everlasting true bonds

As Seungcheol stirred in his slumber, a gentle sprinkle of water kissed his face, prompting him to furrow his brows in confusion. Slowly, he opened his eyes, greeted by the sight of Jeonghan hovering above him, the essence of his recent bath filling the chamber with a fresh, invigorating fragrance. A mischievous grin adorned Jeonghan's lips as he met Seungcheol's gaze.

"My rose," Seungcheol murmured, his voice laced with sleep, as he took in his surroundings. The chamber had undergone a transformation, its curtains replaced with new ones in preparation for the festival. The palace was bustling with activity as chefs hurriedly prepared new dishes, and the air was infused with the aroma of scented candles, casting a warm glow throughout the halls.

"Rise and shine, are you planning to sleep through the entire day?" Jeonghan's playful tone jolted Seungcheol out of his reverie, prompting him to glance up at the enticing figure before him. Jeonghan appeared freshly bathed, his wet locks cascading over his shoulders, droplets glistening like diamonds in the sunlight. Seungcheol couldn't resist the urge to pull him closer, wrapping his arms around Jeonghan's waist and relishing in the closeness.

"What—" Jeonghan began, caught off guard by Seungcheol's sudden embrace.

"Good morning," Seungcheol murmured, planting a soft kiss atop Jeonghan's head, eliciting a contented sigh from his beloved, who melted into his arms, shifting until he was comfortably straddling Seungcheol's lap.

"Morning," Jeonghan replied, his voice soft and warm, a hint of playfulness dancing in his eyes.

"Time to rise and shine, my king. The kingdom awaits," Jeonghan teased, flicking Seungcheol's forehead gently, earning a hearty laugh from the monarch.

"Even if I am late, it matters not," Seungcheol remarked, his deep voice resonating throughout the room, filling the space with warmth and affection.

"It matters," Jeonghan insisted, rolling his eyes playfully as he urged Seungcheol to rise from the bed. With a contented sigh, Seungcheol obliged, making his way to the royal bath area after stealing a tender kiss from Jeonghan, who jokingly complained about morning breath, their laughter echoing through the palace corridors.

Seungcheol emerged from his bath, regal garments adorning his frame, and entered the chamber to find Jeonghan engrossed in grooming his locks. "You could have enlisted Jisoo's aid," Seungcheol remarked, approaching Jeonghan who struggled with a hairstick. "No, he's preoccupied," Jeonghan replied, lips pressed in concentration as he attempted to secure the hairstick.

"Come here," Seungcheol beckoned, settling onto the couch. Jeonghan arched a brow inquisitively, but Seungcheol simply motioned for him to sit on his lap.

"What? Are you going to tend to my hair now?" Jeonghan chuckled, standing before Seungcheol with a wooden comb in hand. "You underestimate me, my rose," Seungcheol replied, gently guiding Jeonghan until he rested against his chest.

"For you, my heart, I would master any craft," Seungcheol whispered, his breath caressing Jeonghan's cheek. "I'd endure any trial, face any peril," he vowed, pressing a tender kiss upon Jeonghan's forehead, a silent pledge of undying love. In that intimate moment, amidst the soft glow of affection, their bond deepened, transcending the mundane to embrace the eternal.

"What styles do you know?" Jeonghan inquired, settling on the floor between Seungcheol's legs. "I know how to braid," Seungcheol replied, his fingers deftly working through Jeonghan's hair, easing out any tangles.

"Have you ever braided anyone's hair before?" Jeonghan pressed further. "No," Seungcheol breathed, gathering Jeonghan's locks into a neat bundle at the nape of his neck.

"Then, how do you know?" Jeonghan's curiosity lingered in the air.

"I watched my father braid my mother's hair when I was young," Seungcheol revealed, fingers skillfully dividing the hair into three sections before weaving them together in a braid.