Chapter 19

"Please give it to my bodyguard," Daniel managed to say calmly, though he could feel the rush of adrenaline causing everything inside him to tremble. The nurse accepted the package with surprise and obediently handed it to Maxim, who emerged, echoing.

"You left your documents at reception."

Maxim, shooting an angry glance at Daniel, accepted the package without bothering to inspect its contents. Daniel concealed his trembling hands in the pockets of his jeans, furrowing his brow with concern, worried that his tense, pale expression might betray him. He cleared his throat nervously and asked in a shaky voice.

"What's now?"

"I was instructed to take you to museums," Maxim stated coldly, clearly anticipating Daniel's outrage. However, Daniel remained composed - hiding in a museum would have been easy. The real challenge was getting the money for a ticket. As he walked alongside Maxim toward the exit, Daniel pondered intensely. 

He could purchase a ticket with cash and fly anywhere, even Europe, for instance. There, he could reach out to Alice and ask for the money needed to return home. Yes, that seemed like the logical course of action. Besides, hypothetically, a ticket to Europe shouldn't be too expensive, which offered some relief. Despite the tightness in his chest from fear and anticipation of imminent freedom, his mind raced feverishly - where could he get the necessary amount? 

In the car, Daniel timidly inquired, "Could I buy a tablet?"

"Yes, but without a SIM card," Maxim responded promptly, then paused before asking in surprise, "What do you need it for?"

"To draw," Daniel replied, staring tensely out the window, avoiding eye contact to avoid revealing his intentions. "The therapist suggested it for stress relief. I used to paint before."

The idea to get money suddenly struck him. A high-quality drawing tablet would be expensive enough, if he returned it, to buy a plane ticket. It might not be enough for a ticket to the US, but it would get him to a closer foreign destination.

"Would an iPad work?" Maxim asked hesitantly, prompting Daniel to exhale a brief sigh of relief, feeling more at ease.

"It'll work. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to purchase one before we head to the museums," Daniel replied.

"Lyosha, stop by a mall on the way. I believe there was a Troika nearby, but I'm not sure if they sell iPads there..." Maxim grumbled discontentedly. He appeared irritated by the prospect of having to accompany Daniel.

"You can opt for another tablet, not necessarily an iPad," Daniel interjected quickly. "The important thing is that it has a stylus and a large screen."

"All right," Maxim exhaled a warmer breath, his demeanor softening.

At Troika, there was no iPad available, but they did have the latest model of the Xencelabs Pen for forty-eight thousand rubles. Daniel swallowed nervously, feeling his palms grow moist with tension. It was crucial to obtain the receipt for the purchase to be able to return it later on. Maxim, satisfied that they didn't need to search for another tablet, flashed a playful smile at the attractive saleswoman. 

She, reciprocating his interest, flirtatiously batted her eyelashes and described the advantages of the purchase in a seductive voice, leisurely wrapping the box in a bag. It seemed as though luck was finally on his side. Maxim typically maintained his focus, projecting the image of a formidable and determined warrior: compact in stature yet solidly built, radiating an aura of strength. There was no point in attempting to challenge him; Maxim could easily overpower with a single blow.