Comforts

I need to be working but it's simply too cold to be on the streets. I spend barely an hour out, give one blow job, and catch the first bus I can heading in the right direction. I decide to spend some of my meager earnings on donuts since Harris didn't have any today that I know of. It's out of my way but I'm already freezing so what's five more minutes?

Turning back into the park, two probably stale donuts in my possession, I see that someone has moved out and their stuff is at the road. I give it a glance because I'm always interested in other people's things and amongst the clothes and broken furniture I see a small box. It's a movie projector for a phone. I pick it up and open it and yes, the machine appears to be inside. I don't know if it will work or anything about it, really, but I shove it into the pocket of my jacket, put my head back down and head home.

Harris is sitting at his small desk working on his laptop when I come in. "Hey Mateo, everything okay?"

He's probably right to be worried, I'm never back this early. "Too cold." And yes, he warned me before I left. So?

"Glad you made it back before you became a popsicle."

I start to take my jacket off and remember all my goodies. "I have brought you presents. Donuts and I found this, I think it's a projector. Can we see if it works? We can lie in the tent and watch a movie under the blankets. Very romantic" I tease, wiggling my eyebrows. I hand it to him because I am worse than my abuela when it comes to technology.

"How cool is this? I didn't know they made little ones. I'm showing my age here but my grandparents had an old slide projector on the ranch and they'd show pictures. Give me fifteen minutes?"

"Of course. I need something hot to drink and to rehydrate my donut. Do you want anything?"

"My leg is killing me, I could use some of your magic tea."

I noticed that he climbed the steps slowly when he got home and he used his cane inside instead of leaving it at the door but he said he was going to take something and stay off of it for a bit and it would be fine. Apparently it's not. I stare at him. He raises his eyebrows and stares back but loses the competition and they drop. He inhales deeply. "It's killing me. Last night messed with it and the bus home was late and I got pretty cold. I thought it would be better by now but... no such luck. I'm thinking about getting in the hot tub but I'm not sure I could get there and back home again."

"You have a hot tub?!?!" How do I not know this?

"Well it's not mine, there's one next to the pool. It's too far for me to hobble tonight but you can go. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow after work." I get that it is far and hard to do but if it would help we should try it. Maybe he can lean on me? Who am I kidding, I'm tiny and although I am strong, I will be of no more use than his cane. "I'll be okay with a cup of tea. Maybe that salve if you don't mind and have all the stuff. Really though, it's okay, I'm used to it. Shit, shouldn't have sat in this chair." It rolls back towards his desk as he struggles to stand and then I realize how I can help, other than offering him a hand.

"Harris, I can push you to the hot tub."

He reads my mind and looks down at the chair. "I can't get it down the steps nor do I think this is a good idea, for the record."

"My arms are not broken and I'm stronger than I look. I can do it. Then push you there and back. I can help you with stairs, too." But maybe he'll be too cold on the trip. "We can wrap you in the sleeping bag."

He was starting to smile but when I mention the sleeping bag he laughs. "Can you imagine how crazy we will look?"

He's not wrong. "Or I can make tea and salve. Tea now, then hot tub and then salve?"