Chapter Twenty Nine- Busted

Frankie

"He got my book club reinstated. Things have been way better and Moth is still here for a few more days. Oh, before I forget to tell you, Carson has her first ice skating showcase this weekend. She doesn't remember you that much, but Sawyer said I could invite you." I tell our mom on the phone as I give her the family update.

I'm still the only one who calls her. Lottie and Julian are warming up to the idea, but the younger kids hardly remember her and the older kids remember too much about how she left. I remember being sad, but it was worse for Will, Noel, and Candace. I think the damage with them is irreparable.

"I don't want to step on toes. I'm glad I get to talk to you, but Sawyer is your parent. Theirs too. It would just confuse the little ones if I started showing up again." She admits, making me smile.

She cares enough about our family to stay out of the way and let Sawyer take care of everyone, so she isn't as evil as everyone seems to think she is. She does think about us. I wish she would just leave our dad and live the life she wants, but they're stuck together like glue and he wants nothing to do with us. He didn't want kids in the first place but my mom has a thing against abortions.

In hindsight, I'm glad she didn't decide to snuff any of us in utero, but after talking to Sawyer more I realized that it was horrible for him to grow up with parents that were more immature than he was.

Gwen had a kid at the same age my mom had Sawyer, but she cares enough to make sure that Ava is well taken care of all the time and spends a lot of time with her. She'll certainly do better than my mom did for Sawyer.

"Yeah, I know. I just figured that if you came by more often, they'd get comfortable with you."

"I don't think I can, Frankie. You know your father doesn't like settling down too long. I'm glad you're doing well, and I promise I'll make some time to see you soon."

"Kids, dinner!" I hear from downstairs, prompting me to quickly end my conversation with her. That sounded more like an excuse than a response anyway.

"Dinner is ready so I have to go. Bye, Mom."

"I love you. Bye, Frankie." She ends the call before I get the chance to say 'I love you' back, probably knowing I wouldn't have taken it anyway. I'm still not comfortable telling her I love her when I feel like I don't know her well enough.

I put my phone into my pocket and bolt down the steps to sit at the dining room table. I look around at everyone and smile. I don't dread this part of the day anymore. Sawyer and Teagan are both making big efforts to make sure I feel heard and respected when I have issues, and they're kinder about me dating Moth now.

Cameron, Carter, Carson, and Alistair had their dinners earlier, so it's just older kids eating now. Lottie is talking to Teagan about big ideas she has for the cafe, and Julian is feeding his pet duck, Goat, off of his plate while announcing to Sawyer that he and Ramona got the highest grade in their class with their project. It was the same project Julian did by himself, expecting her not to help, but she made him start over so she could work on it too.

I smile brightly when I see everyone talking to each other. It feels like the balance has been restored in our house and my big happy family is happy again. Once again, this is the highlight of my day.

"Kids at school we're going crazy over your boyfriends band." Will informs me, drawing the attention of the rest of the table.

I grin and blush as I explain, feeling my heart flutter like it does every time I get to brag about how my boyfriend wrote me a song. "Moth wrote a song about me and it's getting popular. Their follower count more than quadrupled overnight. I didn't realize how much people wanted a rock love song, but I'm glad everyone likes it."