Chapter 4: Token of Appreciation

The Entrance Ceremony is a special event to commemorate the first day of the Lan Lecture. It is the day where teachers and students will have a chance to get to know each other, and offer gifts to their head teacher who will be with them for the next three months of their stay.

Inside the study hall were the fifteen students, Lan Qiren one of the elders of the Lan Clan and the head teacher. Lan Xichen, the current leader of the Lan Sect. Lan Wangji, the current Chief Cultivator and his wife Wei Wuxian was there as a special guest and also two other Senior Cultivators Laoshi Rayu and Laoshi Kin.

Lan Qiren gave the students a special message to finally start the day. In his speech, he welcomed the students to Cloud Recesses and he's expecting that on their stay they must obey all the rules that Lan has. He also explained that for the lessons, he will be assisted by his two senior disciples Laoshi Rayu and Laoshi Kin. Both have teaching experience of almost ten years.

Laoshi Rayu continued the message explaining what the students can expect after they finish the lecture after three months.

"So many things have happened in the past years regarding the Cultivation World. The system has changed so many times in order to adapt to the never ending, uncontrollable and unexpected events. In the past, Cultivators were very limited and were not restricted by bylaws but as time passes by, change is inevitable." Laoshi Rayu said, making the students wonder where this topic is going.

"Upon completion of these three month lectures, all of you will be officially members of the Cultivator's Alliance or the well known Treaty of Blood and Sword and will have certification to do higher level cultivation and can officially work with any Dynasty."

All students inside the room were shocked to hear the news. When they were sent to Cloud Recessess, it was never mentioned to them by their Sect Leaders and they all thought they were just there to improve their skills and nothing else. Is this the reason why Xiandu was here? Some of them thought because they were all wondering why the Chief Cultivator needed to be present in the opening ceremony.

The Cultivator's Alliance or the Treaty of Blood and Sword was created ten years ago to regulate the number of cultivators and to avoid future problems with regards to overpowered clans and fairness in doing cultivation activities. In this Treaty, the four major Sect with the most influence in each location can lead smaller clans within their assigned territory. The four major Sect are the well known four great clans, Gusu's Lan Clan, Yunmeng Jiang Clan, Lanling Jin Clan and Qinghe Nie Clan. Each of this Clan has a smaller cultivator clan under their lead and these four major clans were led by the Chief Cultivator.

This change was also triggered by the change in the politics. When the Kio Dynasty took over, they wanted all activities inside the country to be reported to them and each organisation needed to have a representative for easy communication in the future.

Having a certification was a big thing because this means that the Certified Cultivators can work with the government officials of the Kio Dynasty which is something cultivators were hesitant to touch in the past because politics is a big red flag. Certified Cultivators have more freedom to do what they want, still binding by the cultivator's bylaws, but they can be treated as professionals and fairly accepted in the public eye.

Nowadays, in order to do higher level cultivators tasks, one needs to have a certification. Certification can be provided if cultivators pass a national exam provided by the Cultivator's Alliance annually or if you are just too powerful and specially talented. If this kind of system were present in the past, Lan Wangji will be the sample of the exempted one.

"This mean that if we finish this three month lecture, we don't need to take the horrendous exam and still get the certification?" Chao Xing mumbled. "That... that's so great Ling-gongzi."