Chapter 30

After Chapter 29

The youngsters followed Lewis on the trail. The sky had darkened and it began to rain. The weather matched the gloomy mood of the group as they walked in silence. Carlos looked behind him and smiled. Lando still wouldn't go further than two meters from him and Apalalo was the same. Helios followed Lando, so Carlos felt a bit like a mother hen with the little chicks following it everywhere.

He looked around. Alex was at the end of the line, trying to stay close to Seb while also catching up with the rest of the group. Max had his attention on Julunggul, who started to be a bit more active. Pierre and Charles strolled behind Lewis with their dragons.

It's crazy that our life depended on centimeters and moments, Carlos thought. And not like a crash, where it can't be influenced. These people were TRYING TO KILL US. Why would anyone seriously want to KILL another LIVING PERSON?! Disgusting!

While he lamented, they arrived back to the cave. It was raining harder and they hurried inside, not wanting to get drenched.

At the back end of the cave hall, there was a fireplace with a fluffy carpet in front of it, surrounded by a sofa and two armchairs. Some blankets and pillows were lying around on these, and Seb gestured towards them.

"Sit down there!" he said.

The youngsters sat down. It was unknown that for how many people the sofa was intended, however, all six of them fit on it. It was a bit squeezy, but no one objected.

Lewis lit the fire. The cozy crakling of the wood was accompanied by the patter of the rain outside. Apalalo jumped onto Carlos' lap and snuggled close to him with a satisfied humming.

Lewis returned and sat down into one of the armchairs. Seb, who had been messing around in the "kitchen", arrived with a tray which held eight mugs. He distributed them among the youngsters and gave one to Lewis and one to himself as well.

Hot chocolate! Carlos thought when he looked into the mug. He glanced at Lando and saw his eyes lit up. He smiled. Everything is going to be all right now.

Seb sat down into the remaining armchair and they sat in silence, their attention on the flames in the fireplace. It was peace and they all enjoyed it.

Carlos glanced around. Even Charles had calmed down, he leaned back peacefully next to Pierre. Then Carlos' gaze wandered closer and he smiled. Lando had fallen asleep while playing with Helios and they were sleeping curled up next to each other between Pierre and Carlos. Then Carlos looked at his dragon dozing on his lap. He gently stroked the yellow streak on his back which was starting to get a tiny bit furry. In response Apalalo twisted his reddish-brown tail around Carlos' forearm. How will it be when he grows up? When we can fly together? Carlos wondered.

They were going home in the evening, so they had to decide about becoming a Dragonrider on that day.

He had already made up his mind.

\ \ \ \ \ \ | / / / / / /

Julunggul gazed curiously into Max's mug. She sniffed it and looked at Max, who grinned.

"Only a little sip," he said.

Julunggul tasted the chocholate with her tongue. Then she looked at Max with puppy eyes.

"All right, drink a bit more, but leave some for me too!" he gave in.

His dragon drank half of the chocolate and left the remainder to Max. After she was finished, she hugged Max's arm and fell asleep.

Max eyed her with a troubled smile. She had been ready to help him when he was in trouble. She would have died for me if she had to, Max realised, stunned for a moment by the weight of the statement.

I shouldn't betray her, he thought. This meant his decision about joining the Dragonriders was made and he was suprised to feel satisfied. I think I chose well.

\ \ \ \ \ \ | / / / / / /

The same question was on Alex's mind too. He enjoyed spending time with the others, especially because there was no media here. However, instead of the army of journalists there was the army of Devils. There will be more battles, Alex thought. If I leave this behind, I won't see them ever again.

He watched Neptune as she wrestled with a pile of blanket on the ground. Finally she managed to get out of it and sat on top of the pile with a satisfied smile. She was so cute!

She is worth much more than the possibility of not seeing an unconscious person ever again, Alex thought. He was also curious about her as a different kind of living creature. It's so amazing that dragons actually do exist!, Alex smiled.

Tarasque, Pierre's sky-blue dragon leapt from the sofa and playfully pushed Neptune from her place on top of the pile. They began wrestling, their movements accompanied by funny noises.

"Go, Tarasque!" Pierre cheered. Alex grabbed another blanket and threw it at him. Pierre gathered it and returned the favor. The blanket covered Alex completely so he missed as Neptune defeated Tarasque and rolled him into the blanket.

"Good job, Neptune!" Alex grinned when he got out from the blanket.

"Next time we'll get them, won't we?" Pierre patted Tarasque's head.

So he's also staying, Alex thought.

Tarasque nodded and she high-fived with Neptune using the wingflaps on the end of their tails.

\ \ \ \ \ \ | / / / / / /

The rain had stopped and fresh air drifted into the cave. Tharion, who had been sleeping on Charles' lap, woke up and yawned. He leapt from the sofa and jogged away towards the cave entrance. Charles also stood up and followed him.

The view from the ledge was wonderful. The sun had emerged and millions of raindrops sparkled on the grass and the leaves. The fresh air smelled of soil and rain. Tharion spotted a butterfly, the first one to emerge after the rain. He pounded after it and chased it around the ledge. He was fast, but he was careful not to damage the graceful animal.

He's so adorable!, Charles smiled. And he saved my life in the battle, he added.

He deserves to give this world another chance.

/ / / / / / | \ \ \ \ \ \

Hope you liked the chapter :)