Chapter V: "I protect everyone"

Running footsteps, doors rapidly opening, lights being turned on, sounds of someone coughing and almost throwing up, toilet being flushed. Those were all the noises that woke up Lilim for the third or fourth time this night. There was no reason to go back to sleep, and even if she wanted to, the light was hurting her eyes. Sitting up on the couch, she noticed Beatrice embracing Alice and rubbing circles on her back. The half-or-quarter angel was still crouching right by the toilet, trying to catch her breath. Lilim could only guess what could be the reason for the angel's current state, but she had to talk about it with the blonde-haired angel. Of course, only after Alice calms down, even if only momentarily,

Alice heard someone approaching and did her best to look decent, wiping her face and eyes before turning to face the black-haired demon, who had a rather tired and stoic look on her face. Though there was a slight bit of disappointment written on her face, it seemed to be mostly directed towards Beatrice.

"Sorry for waking you all up, but can you give me a moment? I don't think I'll be able to sleep for a while." Angel once again repeated what she said before, each time more and more shaken by whatever drove her to this. Of course, she could guess that those corpses they found in the morning were at fault. Succubus knew that bringing Alice with her wouldn't be good, but she hadn't expected that. The half-angel being herself would never tell anyone that it bothered her, though both she and Beatrice could see it clearly. Succubus could only be glad that she had seen many gruesome deaths and that barely anything bothered her now.

"Al." Lilim tried to speak with the softest tone she could muster so late in the night. "Their deaths weren't your fault. The Schwarz attacked long before we could do anything, so please don't beat yourself up over them."

"I know. It's just that it hurts the same way every damn time. I'm supposed to protect everyone, and yet two more people lost their lives today. I cannot keep on failing like that." Neither Lilim nor Beatrice, who was already in similar situations, really knew what to do with the half-angel. The best they could probably do is let her calm down without putting any more pressure on her. The succubus did not like how she blamed herself for their deaths, especially because it really wasn't her fault. Alice felt that she was responsible for everyone, and even something like that made her lose sleep. The demon could only worry about how long she would be able to live like that. Granted, she herself never really cared for people, but even then, the deaths of innocent people bothered her. She could only imagine what Alice was going through. Beatrice still stayed closer to the ginger-haired girl, who used her as a support, and slowly stood up. Her gaze met the demon's just for a second, but even then Lilim could see the lack of the usual cheerful gleam that always accompanied her green eyes.

"Lilim, you don't have to worry about me. I've been through it before." Lilim only shook her head. There wasn't really any use in trying to argue with the angel. No matter how many times the succubus would ask, she would always say 'fine', despite it clearly being different. The demon waited for the half-angel to return to the room before pointing at the table next to the window. Both she and the blonde angel took a seat. An uncomfortable silence overtook the room, with the demon only giving the older woman an accusatory glance from time to time.

"Don't tell me you are okay with that." Beatrice could almost feel those cold blue eyes drill right through her. She knew that Lilim would surely be upset about Alice's current state and that there was no use in keeping silent.

"No, of course not."

"But?"

"It is our only way. I don't like this either, but you have to understand that."

"What is there to understand? Have you seen what she looks like? I've seen people come back from war in a better state!" Lilim was having a hard time keeping her voice quiet. She really had a hard time understanding how sending a nineteen-year-old girl to fight with demons was their only way. Beatrice was there, and she was supposedly much stronger than Alice.