&-Chapter 2-&

Chapter 2: Clouds of Memories Return

"...you're saying you're trying to apply for a job in the Ragnvindr house?"

"Pretty much so. So, uh. How have you been...? Actually, no. I should speak formally now with you, now that you're the Master—and congrats on becoming the Head of Ragnvindr—"

How would one imagine a reunion between two people that once had a love story blooming between? It should be a warm, dramatic, romantic, and memorable event setting, right? Yet, the gods always had surprises up their sleeves for their favorites, granting (Name) one reunion that would surely bring embarrassment.

For sure she'd be kicking her sheets when she got home tonight. If! She managed to get home.

Diluc Ragnvindr brought his hand up, shaking his head. "...I appreciate the thought of formalities between us, since I've inherited quite the position. However, we both were friends from childhood, so I don't see the need to be too formal with each other."

Ouch. The word 'friend' labelled, and what he firmly believed in between them somewhat hurt her. The grip on the small lamp grass flowers tightened. It was quite embarrassing to be reminded that she's the only one who thought they had something more in the past. Yet, with him not bringing it up, perhaps he's just trying to save her face right now. For that, she's quite grateful.

"Thank you, then. I didn't manage to contact you for quite the amount of time. Sorry about that. I was... busy with trying to finish my education first," she simply spoke, keeping up a polite smile and one with an apologetic hint to it.

However, it seemed like her words went in and out of Diluc's ears, seeing his eyes were pointing at the situation around them. Judging by their current location, naturally talking in the middle of a dangerous wood wasn't ideal.

"Let's head to the winery and we shall discuss about your job further there. You're saying you're looking for a job, aren't you?" Diluc asked, finally meeting his ruby gaze with (Name)'s.

During Crepus's death, (Name) had been in Sumeru, applying for scholarships and searching positions in the Akademiya. She'd heard stories of how Diluc had left the Favonius just the night when he's chosen to be the Calvary Captain. How his whole demeanor started to tone down, to the point his whole life changed 180 degrees.

Looking at him now, he'd indeed changed. What used to be looking at the world filled with wonders, ambitions flaring up, dreams of what he wanted to achieve, now filled with just... silence. She couldn't describe his eyes, but that's just how she saw him as. Underneath those eyes, she was assured she managed to catch a glimpse of his unyielding childish old self. Just, buried six feet deep.

"Master, if it's not too much for me to ask, might you be... entering a phase?"

The man halted. "A what?"

"A phase."

"..." silence from Diluc.

Of course she'd receive silence. Who in the right mind would claim they're in a phase?

"No, never mind. Forget I asked anything," (Name) immediately changed the course of their subject.

***

"So what kind of position are you looking for?"

"Any kind of position that allows me to use my skills in analytical thinking, providing advices, and providing my help in flourishing your house's name."

They'd settled in the Dawn Winery together, walking into an empty office side by side as well. The place didn't seem to have changed as she had expected—a few that changed would be a few paintings she'd never seen before, hung on the wall.