|7|"You can't be serious"

February 2028 - 4:56 a

February 2028 - 4:56 a.m.

"Say what?" I frowned. There was no way I had just heard what I thought I had just heard.

"You and August have to get married." Jai carefully repeated, looking at me with attention.

"You're kidding, right," I stared at Jai blankly.

"Unfortunately, I am not. I'm as serious as Mrs. Mac on inspection days, girl."

"Hell nah. I'm not marrying anyone," I argued, crossing my arms.

August rolled his eyes, shaking his head. Sassy man.

"There's a rule in the enchanted world that says any protector has the right to marry the woman of his dreams, or so he thinks. It doesn't matter, as long as the protector is married. By being his wife, the woman is automatically protected from any harm for six months. Those six months would provide you enough time to figure out your identity, and prove to The Council that you aren't a threat to the enchanted world."

"Don't worry, we'll get the divorce in eight months sharp," August added. "Or earlier, if you figure out your stuff by then."

"I don't want to get married to you," I retorted back.

"And he doesn't want to either," Jai intervened. "Y'all don't have to act like a real couple; at least not behind closed doors. You only have to be seen together outside, because August is the protector the most coveted right now, and him getting married will definitely attract the District's press. They'll want to know everything."

"What's the catch? What's in it for him?" I raised my brow at August.

Why would he want to help me? He seemed to hate my guts. I wasn't expecting him to do this without getting something in return.

"I will try to get Caleb to drop out the complaint he made against his batshit crazy best friend who attacked my baby for no apparent reason. His name is Nicolas."

August clenched his jaw. "It wasn't for no reason. Your man was bragging about his people killing our people."

"Yeah yeah, whatever," she brushed him off. "You have to do this, Love. They will hurt you."

Jai stared at me with genuine concern in her eyes.

"Why do you keep saying that? Who exactly wants to hurt me?" I inquired, sitting back on the couch. I could feel my heartbeat accelerating in fear. How could someone possibly want to hurt me that badly?

"The Council," August intervened. "They are the elders of all enchanted beings. The Council is composed of seven elders who get to make all the big decisions regarding the fate of all enchanted beings as a nation. Each of them represents a type of enchanted being, so everyone can feel included."

"You'll get to study more about them in the library of the District," Jai continued. "But they will see you as a threat because you don't seem to be human, and you've been attacked by a black shuck on the south territory. Black shucks are the only creatures living in the South with humans since they've been banned; this is why we have fairies and protectors living not too far away from the South so humans can be protected from black shucks."