Chapter Twenty-Four: The Betrayal

This time through the city, Lila saw the preparations for war. Gerudo women everywhere armed themselves with all manner of weapons for which they were trained. They donned armor, shields, and helmets. They readied their battle horses.

Lila was going to betray them all.

Once out of the city, she had to light her lantern. The night was as dark as could be. Gerudo Valley and Hyrule Field were much more creepy than in the daylight. Sometimes skeletons would pop up, but Lila just ran around them. Now wasn't the time to fight small threats.

The gate into Castle Town was closed, but a side door was cracked ajar. Exactly the neglect a lazy guard would facilitate.

Lila carefully entered the open door. No one could be seen, but down a hall, she could hear gruff voices and the clink of glass bottles. She walked forward but winced at the sound of her footsteps. She lifted the hood of her cloak and waited.

Laughter erupted from the party; no one appeared.

They must be too drunk to notice, Lila thought and hurried on to the sewers.

Once through the sewers, she doused her lantern. She didn't want to risk the light when she entered the dungeons. With her hand outstretched, she made her way to the secret stairs. The only light was from a torch far away, so only a hint showed. It was hard to find the stairs, and when she did, they were as pitch black as she remembered. She slowly made her way upward.

Finally, she was at the top. Lila pressed her ear against the wall and listened.

"...to bed. You'll be too tired for studies tomorrow."

That was Zale. Lila's heart thundered.

"Will you tuck me in?" Zelda. Such a sweet, innocent voice.

Zale sighed, "Fine!"

"And tell me a bedtime story?"

"No, it's too late—!"

"I'll tell you one."

This third voice startled Lila. It was Mori. Of course. He was with Zale.

She searched for a way to enter the room. No time for light. They were already walking away.

She found the handle and pulled with all her might. The door swung open loudly. Zale spun around to face her. Lila rushed to embrace him. Shock rooted him in place, and Zelda screamed.

"Zale! Oh, Zale. I'm so glad you're still alive!"

"Lila, what...?"

"No time. You need to get out of here."

"Brother, who is she?" Zelda asked.

It was Mori who answered first. "That's the girl I was with Lila. Don't worry, she won't hurt you."

Lila held Zale at arm's length. Her vision was blurred with tears. "You're not safe here. Shadow Chieftess Ganondra is coming to attack your castle."

"What?" Zale shouted. "What are you talking about? How do you know? And what are you wearing?"

"I'll explain later. You and Zelda need to run. Mori, get them out of here!" Lila pushed Zale toward the door and waved at Mori and Zelda.

Zale mumbled, "How do you know her—"

"Go!" Lila roared. She pulled out her sword. "I'll stall her. Run!"

To her relief, she heard them run down the stairs. But then Zale said, "I'm not leaving you!"

Lila whipped around. "You must!" He closed the door and watched her wearily.

"Why are you here?" he asked more calmly.

"I told you, you're in danger!"

"How do you know?"

"It's a long story." Lila shifted and flitted her eyes around the room. She finally took stock of what was around her: a large bed with curtains, a large wardrobe of dark wood, a matching desk, and a bookshelf filled with books.

"Start with your new clothes," Zale said. He hadn't moved from the door.

"What about them?"

"They are the clothes of the Legendary Hero, and you're wearing them."

Lila scratched the back of her head. "Yeah, well... that's true."

"Does that mean you believe me?"

"What about?"

"That you are this generation's Hero of Cour—"

"Stop it!" Lila shouted. "What do you know? I couldn't possibly be—"

Before Lila could react, Zale rushed to her, took her hand, and ripped her glove off.

The three triangles shone brightly this time, the same one brighter than the others. Lila snatched her hand away.

Zale looked at her with desperate eyes. "Why won't you believe me?"

Lila returned his gaze. The tears were about to come back. She didn't know how to answer him, and he didn't interrupt her silence.

The main door burst open. Lila pushed Zale behind her and raised her sword. Lady Ganondra herself stood under the arch.

"Ah, there you are," she said, taking in the situation. "I do hope you have done as I asked."

Lila could feel the wrath behind her words. For a second Lila faltered, but she steeled herself against the chieftess's power.

"I will not let you touch him." The words came out less strong than she'd hoped, but at least her voice didn't waver.

All pretense fled Lady Ganondra's countenance. She glared at them, rage boiling from her eyes.

"You made a terrible choice. Kotake, Koume, take them."

Lila hadn't noticed the witches in his shadow. She tried to attack, but Kotake used her ice magic to stop her in her tracks. Then Koume hit her head with a flaming rod.

"Traitor," was the last word she heard.