In Camelot Pt. II

Maia opened the door, hovering in the doorway as she watched the time travellers. Squire Steve was playing with his new weapon—though in close quarters such as their room, it would surely do more harm than help—while Claire, the young shadow mage, was practising her skills, coached by the wizard's apprentice, Douxie.

All in all, they looked comfortable together. Happy, even though they did have the weight of responsibility on their shoulders.

Douxie had messed with the timeline and unless they fixed it, the future (their present) would cease to exist. Or at least, that's what Merlin had said. And Maia didn't know anything when it came to magic, so she trusted him on it. He wouldn't lie to her, would he?

As Claire slipped through a portal with Archie, Douxie looked up at her. "You okay, Princess? Do you need something?"

She shook her head. "Just...checking. Making sure you're alright."

"If anything, love, we're the ones who should be asking you." He glanced over her in concern. "How's Arthur been?"

"Since he got Excalibur back? Better." She closed the door behind herself and took a seat on one of the chairs in the corner. "It's a symbol of the kingdom and...if it's fixed, then the kingdom will be okay."

"That's what everyone wants to think," he muttered as Steve stumbled in between them, knocking a skull off the bookshelf into his hands and screaming, before dropping it.

"Is this what everyone in the future is like?" Maia asked, watching Steve resume swinging his new weapon as though nothing had happened.

Douxie laughed. "Gods, no. If it was, I'd much rather stay here."

She managed a small smile at that. "Enlighten me."

"Huh?"

"Tell me what the future's like."

"Uh, I'm...not sure if I'm supposed to."

"Oh, so now you care."

"Oi, rude. I always cared." He glanced at the glowing portal still open on the bed. "How's the amulet coming along?"

Maia shrugged, gesturing to him and the others. "Merlin seems to like blaming this little mishap for the fact that it's not ready. Honestly, I think he'd preferred if it were you helping him and not that man-bun moppet of an apprentice."

"Also rude," he said, but with a smile, "seeing as that's still me."

"Yes, but...one of you is grown up and the other?" She shook her head. "Not so much."

He hummed. "Suppose you're right."

Then out of the portal, Claire was pushed and she fell onto Steve, panic etched into her features. "She's back. She's back!"

Douxie quickly got up and helped Claire off the squire. "Slow down, slow down. Who's back?"

"Morgana's alive!" Glancing back at the portal, she tried to close it. "And she's coming for us!"

Before it could close, a green hand reached out and then crumbled, accompanied by a disembodied laugh. Claire stepped back against Douxie as Maia grabbed the handle for the door, hesitating for a moment.

"Are you...sure that was Aunt Morgan?"

Claire turned to give her a look. "I would know that face anywhere, Your Highness. Morgana's back and she's coming. We have to warn someone!"

"Arthur?" Douxie suggested, giving Maia a questioning look. But she just shook her head.

"No, my father has much too much to deal with at the moment. Knowing that Aunt Morgan is alive and she's turned on his kingdom? I'm not sure how well he would take it, if at all."

"Then Merlin." He patted Claire's shoulders gently. "Don't worry, we'll sort this out."

~ • ~

"I swear, Morgana's not dead," Claire said desperately.

Merlin, who was pacing around the room trying to gather items for his projects, didn't even spare them a second glance. "Rubbish."

"It's true, Master. She saw her in the Shadow Realm, which is great for saving history," Douxie added.

"But she's coming to attack the kingdom any second!" Claire exclaimed.

Douxie chuckled nervously. "Which is less great."

"We are all in grave danger," Archie said.

Merlin finally stopped and sighed, giving them all looks. "And what were you doing in the Shadow Realm, hmm? Its dark mirrors trick you, sozzle your mind. Morgana is dead, and no magic can change that. I haven't time to chase ghosts. We have more immediate threats."

"Merlin, I know you think that they're making it up, but I saw it," Maia told him from the doorway. "I saw Aunt Morgan with my own eyes. And unfortunately, she is a threat to the kingdom."

He gave her a look, then turned his attention back to Claire. "Listen well, girl. Even if she had cheated death, we don't stand a chance if Gunmar attacks before I finish the amulet."

At that moment, the door opened and bumped Maia out of the way as Past-Douxie walked in, arms filled with scrolls and ores and his lute. "I've got everything, Master. Amulet designs, alloys for the heart, and my lute for some background music."

"Wait..." Douxie stared as Past-Douxie dumped the supplies onto the table. "You're working on getting us back home?"

"Of course," Merlin said, as if it was already common knowledge. "The heart is the only way to get the lot of you out of my hair."

Archie sniggered. "Not that he has much left."

"I heard that!"

The little shapeshifter flew away and Maia rolled her eyes.

"Master, Claire's onto something," Douxie said again as Claire stepped up. Oh, this is going to be good.

"Look, I know you think we're a bunch of dumb teens, but we have to defend Camelot from disaster."

Merlin sighed. "Silence!" With a wave of his hand, gate-like masks appeared over both Douxie's and Claire's mouths, preventing them from talking.

Archie smirked. "Cat got your tongue?"

"If you truly believe the kingdom's in danger, then go protect it...outside. I've an amulet to finish." Waving them towards the door with his magic, he made a point to give Maia a look too. "That includes you too, Princess."

"Oh, yes, of course."