Friday

Friday

Steve had 20 minuets before he needed to pick up Nancy and currently wandering around his room shirtless, was panicking a little.The options for pollo shirts were too much for him to handle.He'd managed to narrow it down to 3 aftermuch second guessing.There was the yellow which was his personal favourite colour ,his go to cream one for dates and a darkish blue one.While he wanted to slip into the default proven and tested white pollo it didn't feel quite right.Nancy was different he didn't want it to be the same as every other date he'd ever gone on.Then there was the rich yellow and while he loved it he had got so many comments on how dum he looked in it and he didn't want to mess this up.

Blue it was.He pulled the blue pollo over his head ,Sitting on his bed heavily and taking a deep breathe, exhaling some of his nerves.He really really didn't want to mess this up.Despite his cool demeanor Steve had been in torturous anticipation for this Friday throughout the entire week.

Shoving of the bed and heading to the bathroom for the remaining 15 minuets ,he perfected his ever so slightly dishevelled hair.Steve grabbed his car keys before heading out and locking up the house behind him.

"Hey baby."The routine of greeting his car was strangely soothing and he felt a steely calm take over him as he revved the engine and headed to the wheelers house.He pulled into to the driveway infront of the house before jumping out the car and knocking on the pristine white wash.It swung open and there stood Nancy looking like a princess from a fairytale.She had on a beige orange dress that fell just below her knees ,with a knitted sweater belted in at her waist. paired with her umbre hair curling just below her collarbones she looked like the picture of autumn.Her eyes were the only thing that were out of place looking ethereal against the background of earthy colours.She blushed a little as Steve handed her the pinkish flowers he'd brought with him easy smile and reflected blush on his face.

"Thanks."She said softly smelling the flowers and Steves heart melted a little.

"You look beautiful by the way ."His smile turned softer as butterflies played tag in his chest.

They stood there gazing into each others eyes in a silence full of feelings skimming just bellow the surface.

"I'm just going to go put these in water ."Nancy finally broke eye contact opening the door a little wider as an invitation for Steve to come in and walking of to the kitchen.

Steve watched her dainty figure disappear down the corridor stepping as gracefully and lightly as though she were indeed a princess,skirts swishing behind her.Steve smiled to himself giddily.This was unreal.Nancy got back and reached past Steve who was standing hands in the pockets of his jacket facepalming for looking like a douche and not getting out her way.Then they were driving .Steve looked over at Nancy who seemed nervous curling in on herself and biting her lip.He flicked on the radio music filling the car and the tension lessened a bit.

"Do you go out much?"Steve started and by the time they were at Joes they were in an invested discussion about which sport was the best.Nancy was supporting tennis while Steve was of course all the way a basketball fan.

Steve parked infront of the diner"Basketball is just a bunch of sweaty dudes having a pissing contest about who can do the best trick and shouting at each other."He mocked being shot and fell against the door .Nancy chorteled a little but Steve couldn't fully enjoy this new development as he realised how much of a goofball he looked like right now and that Nancy was probably laughing at how stupid he was.

Quickly he recovered ,slipping out the car and opening Nancys side of the car ,offering her a hand.She looked like princess there was no way in hell he was treating her as any less.

Taking his hand she smiled up at him through her lashes.Then the heat was abruptly gone and Steve missed it as they walked over to the diner and bought a chocolate milkshake to sip in one of the dark red leather booths.They talked for hours steve using every flirting trick in the Harrington book.Nancy leaned in to take a sip of their milkshake and a idea struck Steve.He leaned in too making there faces impossibly close.Nancy flicked her eyes,luminous in the dimly lit diner,up to Steves abandoning her straw Steve followed her lead.His eyes flicked down to her lips they were slightly parted and were moist from drinking the milkshake .

They probably tasted like that too.The tense fragility of the situation made the air around them feel heavy.

Steve leaned forward slowly not wanting to scare Nancy or snap the fragility of the moment not breaking eye contact with Nancy.

She glanced down at the watch on her wrist and Steve felt a jab of disappointment as his opportunity evaporated as if it had never happened.

"It's eight I should probably get back home now."Nancy smiled awkwardly and Steve gave her a confident smile back quickly bouncing back into his usual persona.

" I'm sure it's tiring being that pretty."Steve winked.Nancy went beet red instantly feeling the awkwardness dissipate.They walked out to the car golden sunset tilting everything in it's rays and making Nancy look like a goddess.It was a beautiful day the warmth of summer clinging stubbornly to the quickly darkening sky and veins of red and orange slowly starting to make the trees look like they were set alight.

Alot quicker than he would have liked Steve pulled up into the cul de sac and turned the engine of.

"So this time next week."Steve said trying not to be too clingy and mustering up his most charming voice.

"Yeah I.I had a really great time Steve."She gave him another one of her heart melting smiles the illumination from the houses windows making her eyes look like they were made of stars.The same thick tension from earlier was back and Steve felt lightheaded.They both leaned in achingly slowly .Steve lifted up and cradled Nancys cheek gently and her eyes closed Steve following her lead.Then Steve felt her lips against his and if he was on cloud nine before he was in outer space now.the kiss was tender and he had been right she did taste like chocolate and she had the most unbearably soft lips of anyone he'd ever kissed.He caressed her cheek with his thumb his head feeling like it was made of sparklers.

It was over too soon and before he knew it she was pulling away and he was hoping he didn't look too shell shocked.Her lightning gaze held his for a minuet and stirred something in his stomach then she was gone floating effortlessly through the night chill like she had wings.

Steve drove home replaying the kiss over and over in his head glowing.