Two

Somehow, he ends up in the middle of the enthusiastic mothers of the

Ton. His first step into the soiree had been something of a call to these audacious women. They'd swarmed him, reintroducing their adult children to the Viscount as if he hadn't known the majority since childhood. His smile was as polite as possible, but inside irritation quickly rose as the women around him tried much too hard to sway him into agreeing to dance with their offspring.

As their high, grating voices prick at his ears, the thought that these women didn't exactly know he was only good for a title, not a fortune, passes through his mind. What if one of the more gossip-inclined mamas found out this... tidbit of information, and it spread across the Ton? There was no better reason to act charmingly and politely until he secured a marriage prospect.

This anxiety had started somewhere near the beginning of the season when he'd brought up finding himself a marriage partner at the dinner table. He and Tigris had discussed all the possible ways his... search for a wealthy spouse could go wrong, preparing themselves for any issues that could arise. His cousin had supposed that the prospect's family could overlook the knowledge of their... bad luck as long as the potential match had a hefty fortune of their own.

Besides, Tigris had supposed, these mamas were social climbers. They wanted to boast that their child was married to a Viscount. Even if the Snows were quite impoverished, the Snow family's title was prestigious on its own. It was worth much more than any fortune, he concluded with himself.

Besides, Coriolanus knew he should not judge them for title-hunting when he was unfortunately equally as pathetic by fortune-hunting within the marriage mart.

Despite this acknowledgment, the introductions between him, the mamas, and their children were exhausting. He longed to be over with this, to be done with the tiresome events and marry the first person to offer. It would certainly be easier to be on the married sidelines of these parties, to no longer be asked to dance by strangers and friends.. or hounded by overly interested mothers. To be someone's husband instead of someone's potential suitor.

Despite feeling this way, he tries extremely hard to pay attention as Lady Creed speaks to him about her son Festus, a man he's known since childhood.

"And Festus has acquired a quite excellent stallion recently. The horse is a prize even compared to my son's current horses. Did I tell you, Festus breeds horses?"

"No, you did not, but I believe Festus has spoken about it on occasion," Coriolanus says, trying to sound interested. He detested horses and hardly had any interest in Festus. His pockets may be full, but he was not on Coriolanus's list of potential spouses.

He spots his friend, Clemensia, walk in right at that moment, saving him from any more talk of horse breeding with Lady Creed.

"You must excuse me, Lady Creed," Coriolanus says with a mannerly smile, his hand politely landing on the older woman's hand. "I will certainly speak with your son later, but I see a friend has just arrived."

He escapes the conversation before the ambitious woman can stop him with more equine discussion, greeting his friend with his first genuine smile of the night, "Clemensia."

Clemensia smiles back, "That's Lady Heavensbee to you, Viscount."

Clemensia had secured her own husband this season—rather quickly. Coriolanus was sure it wasn't because of his friend's sparkling personality, but he was happy for her nonetheless. But if publicly shaming yourself was in line to obtain a spouse, he wasn't sure he was up for it.

"Ah, of course. My apologies, Lady Heavensbee," he replies in a teasing tone.

Clemensia beams, "How have you been tonight, Viscount? Tormented by the mamas already?"