Three

Before he makes his introduction, Coriolanus bumps into the hostess of the night's festivities, Lady Satyria Click.

"Lady Click," he nods to the older woman, "You look lovely tonight."

Satyria, one of the late Vicountess's lifelong friends, had always adored Coriolanus, even treating him as her own when the opportunity arose. He was quite certain she'd be happy to conduct an introduction between the newcomers, Clemensia, and him. If they were here, it meant they had at least been introduced to Satyria and made a... decent impression on the woman.

The Lady smiles, undoubtedly dazzled by the Viscount's compliment, "Oh, Coriolanus, you spoil me with your words." She extends her hand to him.

"I am merely speaking the truth, my Lady," he takes her gloved hand, kissing her knuckles briefly.

"Lady Heavensbee," Satyria says after a beat, nodding toward Coriolanus's companion, "You look quite well."

Clemensia smiles, "Thank you, Lady Click. As do you."

With the mandatory pleasantries out of the way, Coriolanus jumps into what he really wants from the Lady: "Lady Click, I was wondering if you had a spare moment for an introduction to your foreign guests." His eyes dart to the dark-haired man and his parents. He is happy to see the man still stealing glances in his direction.

"Oh!" Satyria looks towards the three, "Of course, Coriolanus. Let me lead the way."

The older Lady walks them toward the young man and his parents. Coriolanus notices how the mother seems to touch her son's back, instructing him without words to stand up straighter.

"Mr. and Mrs. Plinth," Satyria says, stopping before them, "How are you this evening?"

The older two smile affably at their host. The younger Plinth lets his eyes fall on Coriolanus once again, now close enough to truly look.

The older man speaks first, "We are wonderful." His eyes dart to Coriolanus and then briefly to his son.

"Excellent; I hope you are enjoying yourself so far," Satyria smiles, playing the hostess flawlessly.

"We are quite comfortable, Lady Click," the woman smiles, nodding, "Your home is very lovely."

"Thank you, Mrs. Plinth," Satyria beams, "My late husband had quite exquisite taste. He designed this entire home himself."

"Oh?" Mrs. Plinth looks genuinely interested, much to Coriolanus's surprise.

"Yes, he was quite the visionary... We can continue to speak about it after I've made my introductions," Satyria smiles, gesturing towards Coriolanus, "This is my dear friend, Viscount Coriolanus Snow," she gestures less magnificently toward Clemensia, "And this is Lady Clemensia Heavensbee."

"Strabo Plinth," the elder man nods, then motions towards his companions, "My wife and my son."

The woman smiles warmly, her eyes crinkling softly as she looks at Coriolanus, "It is a pleasure to meet all of you."

"The pleasure is all mine," Coriolanus says, taking Mrs. Plinth's hand and pressing a gentlemanly kiss against her gloved knuckles, "That is an extraordinary dress, madame. You truly have an eye for fashion."

He wondered which modiste pointed this woman in the direction of this fabric. The poor woman was certainly swindled.

Indeed, it was nothing less than stunning in its design and flow—but it hardly could be the woman's personal taste, he was certain.

Mrs. Plinth flushes lightly, "Thank you, Viscount."

The younger man doesn't hesitate to hold his hand toward Coriolanus when his mother finishes speaking.

Coriolanus glances at the hand held out, slightly appalled by the gesture. Was there no etiquette in the Americas? Nonetheless, he accepts the handshake even if it repulses him to stoop to such a common greeting.

"Sejanus," the man informs. It's another offense—much too informal for a man he's just meeting. Yet Coriolanus forgives the blunder, nodding in return.

"Viscount Snow," he replies. Just because Sejanus was improper hardly meant he had to be.

The small smile that jumps at the corner of Sejanus's lips irritates Coriolanus only slightly, as if Coriolanus's formal introduction amuses him.

"It's a pleasure meeting you, Viscount Snow," Sejanus plays along as if this is some sort of joke and not his actual proper title.

Still, he really needs to make this introduction matter, "The pleasure is all mine." The words drip off his lips with ease as he gives the American a charming smile. He's happy to note the smile causes a momentary pause in Sejanus's own, the barest of flushes staining his cheeks.

Coriolanus notes that Clemensia and Satyria seem content speaking with Mrs. Plinth, so he feels no guilt in continuing this... private conversation with Sejanus.

"So," Sejanus clears his throat, his eyes darting to the dancers on the floor, "Is there something one must do to get a dance at one of these parties?"

"Whatever do you mean?" Coriolanus frowns slightly, confused by the question. Was he asking him to dance, or was he asking how to ask?

"Am I too forward by asking you for a dance so soon after an introduction, or is it quite acceptable?" Sejanus says, brown meeting blue a bit more confidently this time.

Coriolanus's stomach twists, not from disgust but interest in this blunt newcomer who wasted no time. He wonders briefly if he's being made fun of.

"You wish to dance with me?" Coriolanus asks, needing clarification. He refuses to be made a fool by this man, and the best way to avoid that is to force the man to be painfully transparent with him.

"You're not with someone, right? The Lady... Heavensbee is Hilarius's wife, correct?" Sejanus asks, making sure he's not made a mistake asking an accompanied man to dance.

"She is," Coriolanus nods, "You know Hilarius?"

"Briefly. No more than an-- introduction for business," Sejanus responds frankly, "But, does that mean you are here... alone?"

There's a hint in those words, an inquiry into his status at the party and, more importantly, his marital status.

"I am," Coriolanus responds, "I suppose I can... fit you in for a dance."

Sejanus tilts his head, that irritatingly amused smile on his face again, "Oh, is there a queue already in place?"

The Viscount bites his tongue briefly, "Are you teasing me?"

His eyes crinkle, and his smile only broadens: "I wouldn't dream of teasing you, Viscount."

After a beat of silence, Coriolanus unable to think of a response, the brunet holds out his gloved hand with a warm smile, "So, may I have this dance?"

"You may," Coriolanus finally agrees, placing his hand in Sejanus's outstretched one.

Sejanus grins, allowing the sight of his dimpled cheeks to show to the Viscount. The authenticity of the smile, so warm and unpretentious, brings a flush to Coriolanus's cheeks. He's furious that this practical stranger has forced such a reaction from him. There's never been a time in his life when he's been reduced to-- such ridiculous responses, such as blushing.

He wasn't sure he liked it one bit.