⁰⁴growing seasons

Autumn came again in a blaze of crimson and gold, leaves rustling softly underfoot as Artemis walked her nightly patrol through familiar forest paths. The air carried a chill crispness that spoke of impending snows, mysteries the goddess anticipated unfolding each year with changeless curiosity.

A sharp shout in the distance caught her sharp ears. Exchanging a glance, Artemis and her three companion huntresses raced swiftly through the trees, calling upon woodland fleetness to approach the source. They broke into a clearing to discover Atalanta and Orion's fellow hunter, Eurytion facing off, drawn bowstrings trembling with tension.

"Thief! You steal the mistress's favor that was meant only for her chosen," Atalanta hissed venomously at Eurytion. The latter glowered back, unbowing.

"Hold your spiteful tongue huntress. The Lady Artemis granted us her care freely and will not stand for insults."

Artemis stepped between them, placing a calming hand on each taut bow. "Peace, both of you! Orion's people have proven faithful stewards, disrupting nothing. Orion's guardianship has been a blessing, not insult, to my domains. We are all one in service to these woods—let past grievances die here."

Atalanta lowered her weapon reluctantly but glared daggers at Eurytion as she departed. Artemis sighed quietly, troubled. She had hoped growing familiarity might dull resentment, not inflame it further into threats against her chosen friend of the forests.

That evening, Orion and Artemis walked together through moon-drenched trees as was their accustomed way, exchanging thoughts after the tense standoff.

"The rift between my followers and your village pains me. Their traditions have long kept them insular but I fear greater discord may arise."

"My hunt-brother meant no offense, only defense of the regard you have shown us," Orion said gently. "Old prejudices run deep it seems, though we have disrupted nothing of the balance."

Artemis nodded grimly. "Their wrath seems aimed less at any actions than your simple presence sharing my domains. An insult they refuse to accept, though you have proven your devotion a hundred times over." She turned thoughtful eyes upon him. "Let no further discord arise on our behalf Orion. Your people's safety is dear to me."

He reached out to clasp her hand warmly. "Have no worries goddess—we walk your woods respectfully as always. In time, understanding will come."

His towering yet gentle presence reassured as ever. Artemis could not deny the deep appreciation grew within for this lone mortal accepted into her sacred company, keeper of the wild balance by her side through the turning seasons. But shadowed forces were stirring, plotting to tear asunder what they had built in harmony.

« ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ »

Winter's pristine snowfall blanketed the quiet forests once more. Orion's village nestled warm and well-fed within their log shelters, spirits lifted through the cold moons by prayers and offerings to their immortal guardian.

Artemis oversaw her vast domains from treetop perches, keeping silent watch that no creature went wanting beneath her care. Her huntresses roamed restlessly as seasons demanded, following ageless rhythms that left little room for cordial company even among their own.

Only Orion dared approach the remote goddess freely as fellow guardian of the wilderness. On the rare occasion their paths crossed by chance, she found comfort in speaking with the one mortal who truly understood her divine connection to these sacred woods. Yet a pall seemed to fall over even these brief meetings, her companions' ill will now an unspoken tension spoiling tranquility.

« ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ »

Spring's new green shoots emerging announced the turning wheel once more. Artemis walked contemplatively among blooming dogwoods and redbuds, heart lightened by renewal yet burdened with cares no deity should bear. A sharp crack echoed ahead, snapping her from reverie.

She materialized silently upon a high bough, gazing down to see Atalanta savagely striking a fallen log with a practice blade. Nearby, Orion oversaw young villagers' archery lessons with characteristic gentle patience. The huntress's furious strokes grew wilder, aimed spitefully in his direction.

Light as thistledown, Artemis alighted behind Atalanta. "What poisons your spirit so?" she asked softly. The huntress startled, dropping her weapon in surprise of being caught so furious and off guard.

Red with both shame and lingering wrath, Atalanta gathered herself. "Only concern for you, Lady. This... man disrupts the sacred order that has stood since myths." She spat the last word with disgust.

Artemis gazed calmly upon her oldest friend. "Orion alone of mortals walks these woods as equal guardian, as reward for faithful service to their protection and balance. I recognize no threat within him—only you seem unable to lay past suspicions to rest."

With that, she departed soundlessly amid the trees, leaving Atalanta to chew over bitter herbs perhaps long overdue to be spat out. The shadow deepened, hatching a vengeance none could foresee.

« ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ »

Summer's dog days brought sweltering heat and sultry humidity that weighed heavily even upon immortal senses. Artemis strode lightly through forests kept lush and verdant only by her constant nurturing presence.

Even in these conditions, Orion's village remained diligent in sustainable hunting and foraging, leaving ample wild stocks to replenish through the barren moons. Their righteous stewardship earned continuing favor from the protector goddess watching over all.

It was on such a sultry eve that Artemis and Orion happened to cross paths on familiar nightly rounds. Both appeared troubled yet eased slightly in trusted company. They walked in comfortable silence as dusk deepened into velvet dark punctured by first glimmering stars.

"What clouds your thoughts this night, immortal friend?" Orion asked gently. His low voice was as soothing as a summer breeze through rustling treetops.

Artemis sighed. "Old grievances that refuse healing no matter the passage of years or proofs of your upright ways. I had hoped familiarity would dismiss old fears, yet dark seeds seem instead re-sown." She gazed meaningfully at Orion. "Take care in these woods, and keep watch over your people. Ill will festers in secret glades where none can foresee its bloom."

Orion nodded thoughtfully. "As always, we walk respectfully and mean disruption to none. Your charge is our charge also - let dark whispers be blown aside by actions instead of feeding their shadows." He took her hands warmly. "Have faith in what we have built here together."

His towering yet gentle presence could not fail to reassure. They continued through moonlit aisles as old companions, oblivious to the storm clouds on the very verge of breaking.