Bunk Beds

The two of you take a meandering walk back to your apartment, holding hands and giggling like schoolchildren. Your plan was to give George his painting and then send him on his way, giving you the rest of the night to calm down and debrief. George had other plans, however. He interrupts your goodbye hug with a soft plea.

"Does it have to end here?" He shifts in the hug, resting his forehead on yours. "I could spend the night."

It's tempting, but you're afraid of his intentions. Stand your ground, set your boundaries. It's what your sister always said. You pull away from the hug, looking him in his eyes. "George, I don't want this to just be a one-night stand. I really like you. I want to take it slow."

Maybe it's an unfair assumption, but you've been through quite a few relationships that ended after the first hook-up. You're rightfully cautious.

"It doesn't have to be." He puts his hand back on your cheek and around the back of your neck. You grab onto his wrist but you don't pull away. There's a push and pull of affection between the two of you, though it's getting harder to pull away each time. "But the day doesn't have to end here, either. I don't want it to end here. This is the happiest I've felt in a while."

You look down and he pulls you closer, bringing you into another embrace. You do feel truly safe in his arms, but you can't blindly trust him. Stand your ground. "I can't trust that you won't try anything."

You continue to look down, even in the hug. You're afraid to meet his eyes. What if he's mad that you can't trust him? Does he understand? He's silent for a moment until he steps back, suddenly reanimated.

"What if I take you back to me and the band's place? I can't try anything there, the guys would all be watching." He laughs. "It's a pretty cramped space."

You hesitate, but it does sound fun.

"We can do something the morning after too, if you want." He adds on. "With or without the guys."

You smile, looking off to the side. He smiles wider, knowing he's convinced you. "Okay."

"Yeah?"

"Yes, let's do it."

The ride over barely took any time at all, which you were happy to learn. You've already started envisioning your life dating George, and knowing that you live so close makes a lot of the fantasies feel more realistic. You recognize the area the second you turn onto the main street. They live maybe two storefronts down from the Cavern Club.

"I had no idea you guys lived this close to the Cavern." You say, getting out of the parked car.

"Yeah, Mr. Epstein was able to get us an apartment right across from his for us all to live in. He said it was for us to get to know each other better, or something." He joins you on the sidewalk, grabbing your hand and lacing his fingers with yours. His other hand carries the painting carefully. "It's definitely a drastic change. We're all still trying to adjust to it."

"I think it's smart. Living with someone is probably the fastest way to get to know them."

"I guess so." It's the kind of response that you can feel the weight behind, and you wish that you could pry deeper, but the two of you have reached the apartment's door and the conversation fades.

He opens the door for you, placing a hand on your back as you walk by. You're met with a small square-shaped room with a bunk bed on either side. The room is otherwise bare, besides a few guitars thrown about and an empty beer bottle or two. It's a scary sight, to say the least. You can't help but let your mouth fall open.